When it comes to the daily workings of our family life, I am the intense one......my boys know just how to get me riled up (Matt included) and I fall hook, line, and sinker for it every time....
they will say things like...'as long as I get a D or above on my report card, I'm good to go'
to which I intensely reply...'you get a D and you won't be driving for a long while....mommy will drive you everywhere...'
I know in my heart they are joking when they say random things that- especially since they know it is against what we stand for BUT the intense side of my personality just can't let it go...
Matt on the other hand laughs right along with them and shakes his head at me as I am doing the reprimand
'Steph, they are working you....they only say those things because they know they can get to you!'
and the response I have to my Matt is
'Ya, you know why they like to get me all riled up....they are just copying what their daddy does'
When it comes to the daily workings of our work life, Matt is the intense one....
But since we're not talking about that, I will stay on topic and go where I'm going without taking some sort of a rabbit trail :)
Our Bible Study group is doing a 90 day read through the Bible. In early December, on a total whim, I asked Matt if he would want to read through with us....not actually attending study but following the plan at home. Matt and I had planned on listening to some together and some separate- last night we decided to listen together....we were just starting Leviticus....
my brain is intensely listening for nuggets of wisdom.....it's pondering what the Israelites have just gone through and how hard it is to make a sacrifice for sin.....
we were listening to Matt's Ipod- each of us with one of the ear buds....since we each just had one ear bud in, the sounds around me were still evident. I asked Matt several times 'have you fallen asleep' to which he would reply 'NO, why do you keep asking me that'....
I didn't know someone could snore while they were awake is what I wanted to say but I didn't- it didn't seem rude to say but it did seem like it would take up to much speaking space when I should be listening....
by this time we had heard over 10 times, as an animal sacrifice was made, that the 'aroma was pleasing to the Lord'
looking back, my Matt must have been listening because about 30 minutes in I hear him say.....
'Man, the Lord really must have liked the smell of beef- I wonder if He liked BBQ'
of course my intense personality fired back an explanation that the aroma was pleasing not because of the smell of the food but because of the representation of the sacrifice....'
I knew Matt already knew all of this but was just trying to make me think he didn't understand...he knew I would get all fired up :)
when it was quiet again between us, only the narratives voice speaking out sacrifices in Leviticus, I could not help but pay attention to every time the narrator would say that an aroma was pleasing to the Lord....and then I would think about Matt wondering if the Lord liked BBQ....and then I would laugh to myself
and I laughed all day today
I even laughed in my heart as I prayed
it still makes me laugh even as I type it out
Love you baby and thanks for the (Biblical BBQ) laugh!!
p.s. betcha Jesus did love Him some BBQ when he was here on earth :) :)

No comments:
Post a Comment