I am laughing even as I start typing this blog post.
We have 15 acres. 3 acres are where our house and a few out building sit and 12 acres are fenced with our cows. For most of the summer, we've been feeding our cows apples- In the process of feeding them apples, I've taught several of the cows to come right up to us and eat the apples out of our hand. The cows will get so excited when we go out into the field, they literally run up to us and stop within 2 feet of us. If cows could squeal and laugh, they would be doing this when they run up to you, they are that excited. They also run up with such fury, you wonder if they are going to stop before hitting you. If we don't give them apples when we are out in the field, they will persistently follow us around at whatever speed we are going (if we are walking they walk behind us- if we were to run, they would run behind us- not that we ever run...but if we were to run).
The first time they ran up to me, I stood there, willing myself not to run like mad for the fence and jump over it. I wasn't sure if they were going to trample me or stop. I took a big breath, stood still, and faced the cows (like any good pack leader does) and shouted a greeting to them 'HHHHEEEYYY!!'- I figured I would rather go down appearing brave then loose face in front of 17 cows and run away. I didn't have apples so I just petted them behind their ears and told them how handsome they were. They didn't appreciate this as much as apples but they still persistently followed me around the field when I walked- keeping pace the entire time.
The back of the 12 acres of our cow field backs up to a rural subdivision. The houses are on larger lots with all of their back fences bordering our field. The first house on the road, closest to the highway, has quite a grow going. If the privacy fence was not a dead give a way, the big green leaves growing up over the fence and the smell of skunk was. I walk around our field most days, 2 times around during the walk for the normal or 3 times if it's an ambitious day (like once a month). The cows run up to me every time I walk and follow me for one lap around.
Last night, I was walking around the field and noticed leafy greens laying on the ground along our back fence line. It was a long enough stretch of those leafy greens that someone would have had to walk down the fence line to spread them. They were cut and thrown around, not growing up out of the ground. I've never seen marijuana close up- never smoked it- not my thing at all, so it took me a minute to figure out what I was looking at. I picked it up and took a picture, sending the picture to my Matt, 'Is this marijuana?'....then I took a whiff- it stunk (which confirmed my suspicion that it was marijuana). I gathered as much of it as I could find, make your arms create a big circle out in front of you, that's how much I gathered, and threw it between our fence and the neighbors fence. I'm fuming mad by this time, trying to figure out if someone was trying to feed our cows pot, and trying to figure out who would be walking our fence line spreading the pot around.
WHAT IN THE WORLD!
I grabbed the biggest branch of marijuana with the most leaves on it and stormed across our field to show Matt. 'Honey, you need to go talk to the neighbors about this!'
Matt said he pulled up to the neighbors (the ones with the grow), which were all standing outside their house, held the pot branch up and asked them if it was theirs. They had just gotten home from work and figured out that sometime, during the day, someone had stollen their marijuana plants. They wanted to know where Matt had gotten the cuttings from their plants.
We put two and two together. Especially after walking the fence line again and seeing how the marijuana was scattered. At the end of the scattered marijuana was a backpack and the cutters used to cut it. You could tell that whoever had stollen the marijuana had run down our fence line- scared enough to drop not only the pot but their personal items too.
Cows are curious- what do you want to bet they saw the robbers, after stealing the neighbors pot, make their way over the fence onto our side of the property. They didn't realize the impact they would have as all of them ran at the robbers, expecting apples. I'm sure the robbers took off running, holding on tight to their loot- they picked up speed, hoping to outrun the cows, all the while glancing back to see how close the cows were. Clearly the cows were gaining ground which caused the robbers to drop the rest of the weed and their personal belongings and jump over the fence.......
AAAAHHHHHHAAAAAHHHHH!!! Take that you pot robbers!! Great job to our cows!!
Who needs guard dogs anyway? Especially when you have overly friendly cows :)

1 comment:
Ohhh, great story!! I say way to go cows. Would have loved to see that take place.
Post a Comment