Monday, July 15, 2019

the last sentence of the last chapter

Living life is a unique balance.  You live in the moment, with each action forwarding on meaning into the next moment and the next, everything counting for something.  There are times though when living in the moment means that this moment, the moment you are living right now, will be the last of it's kind.  Oh, you will have many more moments to come (Lord willing) but they will never be as they were before.

And that's ok.  In fact, it's more than ok, it's great.  You loved all the moments before and you know you will love the moments after, but you know the moments before will never be again and for that reason, a grief with both thankfulness and sadness takes place.

I don't believe God made our life stories to fit in just one book.  I think He writes out our lives in multiple books, each for specific seasons and each touching by bound covers, connected from generation to generation.  Bound covers, created by God, so things like His distinction of marriage can live out in His designed way, each couple receiving their own book when their vows are said.

A new book started on July 30, 1994 when I married Matt. This book was specific for the life that Matt and I would create with each other and our children. Chapter after chapter was written as Eli was born, then Ry, then Ellie.  We lived, having a variety of memories in each chapter- happy, funny, incredibly hard times, and some devastating times.  We went on some great adventures, all of us living each moment to it's fullest, page after page getting filled.

Eli grew up, moved out, and started a life of his own- Ryan grew up, creating a life of his own too, but the five of us were still in the same book.  Our final sentence hadn't come.  That last period, of the last chapter, with the last word was close...but not yet.  It's not that we would loose touch when our book ending came, it would mean that for healthy sake, for boundary sake, for distinction sake, we would need a sequel (thanks for the word choice, Heid).  One going to two.

I took the picture below at my nephew's wedding this past Friday night.....


Even as I was taking it, the mama side of my heart realized that it would be the last picture I would take as the mother of 3 kids.  Our Eli get's married this week.  He gaining a wife, Ry and Ellie a sister, Matt and I a daughter.  A picture of my kids will never feel complete again without Megan in it.  This Saturday night, our family will transition from 5 to 6 with a final period at the end of the last sentence of our book and the hard bound cover will close.

In place of one book will be two.  Eli and Meg having their own while Matt, Ryan, Ellie, and I the other. Oh, we'll still have our end-covers touching, ours touching on one side with Megan's family touching the other.  Eli and Meg wedged between their two families with their own book, full of pages to fill and memories to make.  Some of the chapters will include their extended family but the main content will be them....living out what God has called both too as a married couple, leaving  their families and cleaving to begin their own story, and what a story it will be.

I cried after I took the picture- not right then and there, but when I got home.  My heart was celebrating Eli and Megs upcoming wedding, thanking God for the woman Megan is and how perfect He designed her for Eli (and vice versa).  I also cried because that last sentence of our family book is here.  The tears were filled with an overwhelming thankfulness for the memories, for the moments, for each day we spent as a family of five. Crying for the ending to a season while being so excited for the new beginning.  Megan is a gift, both to our family and to our Eli.  She is a treasure.

So here is to the moments and memories our family shared before our book was finished.  Here's also to the moment's and memories we will make after, in both of our new books.  But most of all,  here's to God, who brought our family Megan and who brought Megan's family our Eli.

P.S. I couldn't end this post without a quick trip down memory lane......some favorite pictures of my kids over the years


















Congratulation Eli and Megs, Saturday can't get here fast enough-  We love you and are so very happy for and proud of you.



No comments: