Friday, March 18, 2011

Doing wheely's on the John Deere

Wheeley's are for adrenaline junkies who have a strong desire to flip over backwards and have their vehicle/atv/motorcycle/etc.. come crashing down on top of them.....They are for people that have a desire to challenge gravitational authority.....In my personal opinion they are completely scary and unnecessary (while saying this might I mention that my husband went back and forth in front of me on his dirt bike doing wheeley's the other day- my precious boys followed suit)
We've had a lot going on around here- Matt and the boys have been really busy completing projects-  I've had more free time than Matt and the boys so I graciously offered to do some mowing around here- Not the type of mowing that you can use a rider or push for- the type of mowing that required the John Deere.
I understand how to use the 4 wheeler- I also understand how to use the riding lawn mowers.  The only 2 pieces of equipment left are the back hoe and the John Deere Tractor.  I have never stepped foot on the back hoe to learn to drive it and have only mowed with the tractor a handful of times- for just a sec- just for Matt cause he really wanted me to learn how to drive it.
I can now say that I have done a wheely on a John Deer Tractor!
What I have learned this past week during my many hours of mowing is this.......
When you start out in 3rd gear with your RPM's revving at 25 and are on an incline you will do a wheely every time!
I was so shocked when the tires came off the ground-it reminded me of an out of control horse- as soon as those tires came back onto the ground the tractor took off (much like a horse that comes down off of reering and takes off running)- I never even thought to brake cause between my eyes being as big as saucers, my mouth hanging open, and the tractor revving up I didn't know really what to do- as the tractor burrowed up the hill I saw through my dilated pupils a very large branch right in front of me- Luckily it caught the exhaust pipe that sticks up on the front of the tractor and bent it clean down toward me before coming my way- It gave me an opportunity to duck out of the way and come out of my shocked state- I slammed on the brakes and inhaled the exhaust that the pipe was graciously blowing toward me (because of the newly bent exhaust pipe) and gathered my wits!
I hobbled the tractor back to the house and asked Matt if I he would mind fixing the pipe so I could get back to mowing..........He never even said a word :)
I now mow in 2nd gear unless I am going up a hill- then it's of course it's 1st gear with my foot hovering over the brake peddle!
On a side note- I have not used 1 single egg today.  My plan is to make cookies this afternoon but we'll see?
Below are some pictures I took yesterday- I was doing my normal 'check' of the beach and decided to veer off the beaten path and head up the hill just a bit- God's creation is so amazing!
I think the strong wind we have had blew several bird nest's
out of the trees- so glad that there was no babies in it!

My boys cut a trail that runs on the knoll that over-looks
long beach.  A vine like plant started growing and has
taken off over the last 6 months as you will see in this picture and the
picture below- It is a beautiful ride!



No comments: