Friday, August 29, 2014

susan, samantha, and ellie


I remember when the first thought that adoption may be a possibility for our family struck me- prior to that I was certain that a child was missing from our family but had only considered that one day I would become pregnant again…..
It was almost 10 years ago and I was sitting in our Church Foyer holding baby Samantha.  Samantha had joined my friend Susan’s family by way of adoption- Don was our Associate Pastor at the time and he and his wife Susan had followed God’s leading and adopted.  They, like Matt and I, had 2 biological sons- Nick and Parker.  A year after Samantha was born, their son Isaac was born- Samantha’s birth mother had become pregnant soon after she was born and given birth to Isaac.  Don and Susan knew that God had called them to adopt Isaac also….I admire their courage in expanding their family from 4 to 6 in a little over a year’s time and for thriving in the busyness that 4 kids can bring….especially when 2 of those 4 are only a year apart!
As 2009 found our family moving to Hawaii, it found Don and Susan seeking God to determine if it was time for Don seek out a church looking for a senior pastor.  By 2010 the Lord opened the door for their family to move to a small high mountain town in Colorado.  A Senior Pastor position was available and Don and Susan were God’s selection for the job.
The Youth Pastor at my church was married this past weekend- Don and Susan were able to attend the wedding- while they were here, they, along with our Pastor (Pete) and his wife Kathy were able to come out to our place to fish-
After holding Samantha that morning in church so many years ago, I came home and went on a long walk- For most of the walk I prayed about adoption- Asking the Lord to let the thought settle in my heart and grow (and settle in Matt’s heart and grow) if it was something He had for our family.  I also watched Susan, what adoption was like for her…..I remember having several conversations with her regarding what the behind the scenes was all about- God used Don and Susan’s obedience to His calling on their family’s life, adoption, to spur us on towards the adoption of our Ellie….
I could tell that Ellie liked Susan immediately when they got to our house this past Monday night- this was the first time that they had spent any amount of time together- Ellie was a baby the last time they visited.  Ellie wanted to show Susan her room- I peeked in at one point and saw Susan sitting on the floor with Elle’s as Ellie was talking her ear off- such a sweet moment between them (I wish I would have taken a picture!!!) and a sweet reminder that God is using you and I in the lives of others like He used Susan in my life to spur on our adoption.  We never know who is watching us- who is looking to see Jesus in our lives…..We never know what impact we are having on other’s while we follow where the Lord is leading us- Susan didn’t know that I was watching their adoption(s) so closely and that the Lord was using their story to impact our family’s adoption…
Thank you for your example Don and Susan…..May God Bless and keep your family as you serve Him and thank you for the wonderful evening!
p.s. Thank you for coming out Pete and Kathy- It is always such a great time visiting with you guys-
 Hebrews 10:24
'And let us consider how we may spur one another on towards love and good deeds.'
Don and Susan (L) Pete and Kathy (R)

Love you Susie!!


Left to right: Parker, Nick, Isaac, Susan, Don, Samantha

No comments: