Saturday, March 14, 2015

quincy and the chocolate mouth

Randomly, at the grocery store yesterday, I hear 'SIS!'- I looked over and there was my sister Jodi.
We chatted it up as we both went through line...she with her 1 item of Aloe Vera that you can drink (a good way to become stricken with diarrhea if you ask me) and I with almost $300 worth of groceries.  Jod used to work at a grocery store and is pro at bagging groceries- When she suggested that we bag all of my cold items in one bag I was impressed....seriously, the thought has never crossed my mind in all the years of bagging my own groceries (Jodi is also the one who suggested separating one's wash colors- to this day, I still don't but think it is a brilliant idea). While we talked our way out of the store, in front of us was a gentleman eating an ice cream that he had bought at the stand alone ice cream deli that you walk by just before leaving this particular grocery chain...
Jodi and I made our way to her car first, talking the whole way, and then discussed we would meet again at my mom's in just a bit and parted ways- As I made my way over to my car, I saw that the ice cream eating gentleman and I were parked by each other.  He was standing outside his vehicle eating his ice cream while I was putting my groceries into the trunk.  For some reason, watching him eat his ice cream reminded me of, to date, one of my most embarrassing moments.
Rewind twenty years and put yourself at the same store in that same parking lot with an ice cream cone in your hand.  The cone is holding chocolate ice cream and you are trying to eat it fast because it is hot outside.

How did it never occur to me to wipe my mouth after taking each bite of ice cream

Quincy and her brother Tory had been childhood friends that we had lost contact with.  She was put together and beautiful- truth be told, the type of girl that you want to look your best around....really more for your own vanity and self esteem sake than anything :)

When I heard 'Stephanie?'- Like someone thought they knew who I was but was not sure, I turned around and saw that it was Quincy calling my name- she was sitting in her vehicle....a van that I could walk right up to and chat with her- face to face
In an effort to be able to chat with her for longer than a quick 'hi', I scarfed down the rest of the cone and began talking.

The image of what I saw in the rear view mirror when I was done talking to Quincy and had come back to my own car is still burned into my mind.

A 1/2 inch ring of dark brown chocolate surrounding the complete outside edge of my mouth- it was dry and crusty by the time I saw it but still blaringly there.  It was maybe a 1/4 of an inch from the bottom of my nose (so totally covering all that area between your lip and nose) and for some reason, it was really far out on both sides of my mouth towards my cheeks.  It was down on my chin forming a chocolate smile under my lip...imagine a toddler learning to feed themselves and this was the scene going on around my mouth.
I sat in shocked silence for a bit and then quickly wiped my mouth.  Several napkins and a clean mouth later, it struck me that I needed to go find Quincy and explain to her that it was not a habit to walk around with food all over my face..
She had already left
and I have never seen her again
:)

This post is dedicated to those of us who have ever experienced 'most embarrassing moments'
the moments, that in the time, you want to crawl in a hole and never come out
those same moments, that after time, you tell your kids and husband about and bust up laughing


thank you google images for this pic


No comments: