Wednesday, June 3, 2015

a goat, 2 geese, and apple trees

The ranch we live on shares about a mile of it's 2.5 mile driveway with 4 other neighbors.  Close to six months ago the house at the beginning of the driveway sold and new neighbors moved in.  Almost immediately after the sale, fencing started going up- horses arrived shortly after that and goats after the horses.
All of our mailboxes are at the beginning of the driveway next to the new neighbors house which means that each day, to get my mail, I park so that my car is just at the base of their driveway access. The first day 'goat' was standing at the end of the neighbors driveway access I figured he had gotten out of his pen (probably by eating his way through the barb wire).  Wanting to be a good example to Ellie (who was sitting in the back of the car completely fascinated by the goat), teaching her to not be intimidated by animals, I got out of my car and called it over to me....I was shocked when it came over and let me pet it- in exchange, I let it try to eat the sleeve on my shirt (not really, but I think it thought that was the exchange for letting me pet it).  Day after day, the same exchange has gone on.  I started taking Ellie out of her seat so that she could pet 'goat'.  I figured out after the first day of seeing it out that the neighbors must have trained the goat to stay in the boundaries of their place- It's almost like they have trained it to be like a dog. He's super social and friendly.
Who knew goats could be trained to be pets (thank you Goatworld for confirming this)!!

I told Matt a couple of months ago 'Hey babe, I think I am going to get Elle's a goat to have as a pet'

Matt's experience has not been good with goats.  He thinks they will eat the siding right off of your house, eat trees whole, chew the tires right off of your car, destroy and eat every shrub within a mile of your residence.

I say 'I'm sure we could train it not to do that'
to which he replies 'The only think goats are good for is their milk....are you going to milk it?'
'of course' is my response and I smile 'but only if we could get a whole herd of brown egg laying chickens'
cause I would just assume to eat raw brown eggs right out of the vent than touch the utter on a goat or drink (or even have the glass the milk is in touch even one shelf in my refrigerator) the milk from it.

and then Matt goes back to 'seriously steph, we not getting a goat'
'i'm serious!' he goes on to say

and so Elle's and I stop and pet 'goat' everyday he's out and we talk about what it would be like owning a pet like him.
and I keep working on Matt

In the near future (no date set) we will be moving to our house that has a bit of acreage (16 Acres). Matt is fencing it for cows
he has also agreed that we will put in a small orchard of apple trees
to which I added 'we will put 2 geese in the area of the apple trees'
the idea for this is from a house I drive by everyday on my way to Ellie's school- they have 2 geese in their field and it's adorable
Matt says 'have fun stepping in the goose poop- they poop as much as dogs only you cant train them to go in a certain area'
If you drive by our house, once we move and plant our apple trees, and the trees are barkless then let your eyes keep looking in the orchard.....look until you find Ellie's goat- the one that's obese from all of the bark it's eaten.....if our house is missing it's siding then you know it has eaten through the fence and found it's way into the area where our house is.  If my car is sitting on rims and the rubber is all missing then expect that you will be coming to dinner and enjoying a meal of goat :) :) :)

Hope you are all having a great Wednesday!!




No comments: