4 years!
WOW!
On one hand it seems like yesterday and on the other, a lifetime ago. Personally, I do not miss living in Hawaii BUT I miss the friends we made. More than once, when we have had a get together at our house, I have longed to call up Julie, Dionne, or Holly and invite them and their families to join us. Right after that thought comes the reminder that traveling a little over 3000 miles for a dinner date might not be so realistic.
A few months ago, I was trying a new recipe- Instead of printing it off, I brought my computer to the kitchen counter so I could read the recipe for it there- easy to access while I cooked. I set my computer just under the cabinet that our cups are stored- the computer was put just far enough on the counter that I could lean over and rest my elbows on the counter while I read.
Monday night, Eli was showing me something on his phone- something that he had saved in his pictures. After looking at it, I took some time to scroll through his pictures- about mid way through scrolling, a video came onto the screen...I kept trying to place what the sound on the video reminded me of...those moments where something is so familiar but you just can't quite place where you know it from.
There were certain months of the year that the whales would be moving around the Islands of Hawaii- certain times where you could count on seeing them jump out of the water and splashing around. Not sure where I heard about the radio station that had a live feed underwater catching the sounds the whales made but whoever thought of the idea was genius. Writing about listening to 'live' whale sounds does not sound interesting when I am typing it out to you guys but it was fascinating! I would listen for hours- having it going in the background while doing book work or cooking. You felt like you were part of something amazing- The sounds they would make would sound different but yet have the same tone as they communicated back and forth with one another.
Eli thought it would be funny to open the cabinet door just above my head when I was leaning over looking at the recipe on my computer....he also thought it would be funny to catch the reaction when I stood up and hit my head on it- Please remember this child is by heritage fluent in the language of pestering. He comes from a long line of professionals that think its is hilarious to annoy by way of pester....My husband promotes this in our children- he feels this is a generational pass down that will be carried on. I see it as generational bondage but even with all the prayer and fight back I have done, it has not been broken....put me on your prayer chain- that I would not cave to the pressure of becoming a pesterer by taking on the motto 'if you can't beat em' join em' :) :)
Back to scrolling through Eli's phone last Monday night and trying to place the sound on the video,
The sound I made after hitting my head on the cabinet door...
I sounded just like a whale!
Here's to celebrating 4 years home!!
No comments:
Post a Comment