Something that shows an unguarded moment of what it looks like to be almost 41.
It shows a moment where my husband, unbeknownst to me, picked up my camera and took a picture-
One that later he described to me as beautiful....
To which I replied with an eye roll and then went on to point out everything I observed wrong with the image I saw in the picture...
wrinkles
gray hair
big pores
heavy eye lids
uneven eye brows
and so on
I didn't say this to make Matt contradict what I was saying- I was saying it because it's truth in my eyes....
unswayed, Matt replied with what he started with 'your beautiful, Steph'
To get older emotionally is amazing- you are so thankful for the ground you have covered and for the maturity that comes with covering that ground. Life lessons that only age can teach...
To get older physically is so intimidating
our world is so much about the outward beauty.
inward beauty without outward is scoffed- it's put down and shamed. with age, our world tries to teach that you automatically become invisible and cast aside for the newer younger version
the balance of not depicting our worth on what we see, on the outside, is a constant challenge for us women. To feel truly worthy and beautiful when the world tells us we are anything but...
it seems like it all comes down to who we are letting determine what we are worthy of-
does the world determine our worth
or do we let the very One who created us, the very One who called our precious life into existence, the very One who said that we are wonderfully and fearfully made (Ps. 139) determine our self worth.
I so much appreciate that the Lord knew, as women, we would struggle with allowing ourselves to feel beautiful as we age. I also so much appreciate that He addresses the very issue of beauty and age in the same sentence in the Bible.
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Proverbs 31:30
Really think about some of the most beautiful women you know or have known...
consider what made them beautiful
it had nothing to do with how wrinkle free they were or how small their pores were...
nope...
it had everything to do with the beauty of their heart and the light you saw shining out of their soul.
Jesus in us, shining through, is what beautiful is!!
No matter what you hear, especially from your self, you are wonderfully made.
you are beautiful.....
so am I (I'm talking inward, the beauty that never fades- I'm talking Jesus shining through us)
Thank you Lord Jesus!!
No comments:
Post a Comment