Wednesday, May 10, 2017

it's been a privilege to raise you....

In 3 weeks time and within a 3 day time period our Ryan will turn 18 and graduate from high school.
His plan is to work at Oregon Department of Forestry on the wild land fire fighting crew for the summer and then begin the fire science program at our local community college in the fall.  He was accepted as a student intern for Fire District 3 (the link is a video of Ryan talking, through a power point presentation, during senior night at school) and when he graduates from college he would like to become a firefighter.

I'm not kidding when I say that it seems like just yesterday I was pregnant with him.

This picture was taken on my due date with Ry

You take a breath and they start kindergarten.









You take another breath and your here.  Getting ready to sit in the grandstands as their name gets called so they can walk across the stage to collect their high school diploma.


Such a sobering moment as a parent, how fast the time goes that the Lord privileges us with to raise our children.  But, behind this moment, is a thankfulness for the person you were blessed to spend the last 18 years raising.  In many ways, our children raise us.  For Matt and I, our kids grew us up.  They taught us how to love unconditionally and sacrificially.  How to think of others before ourselves and how to listen and look for their heart when they talk to us.  Raising children, the good and difficult, the seasons of pain and triumph, the joys and the sorrows, all of it is an amazing gift from God. A gift both Matt and I are so very thankful was bestowed upon us.

You're going to do amazing Ryan Chase.  You were born with a determined spirit that knows where you are going and how you are getting there.  In your determination and drive, you have never forgotten to enjoy life and have fun.  You have taught me so much about pressing on when times are tough and not letting circumstances get the best of you.  You are compassionate and kind but know when to say no and when to have boundaries.  You have a heart that loves the Lord, but, not in a way that is unrealistic or legalistic.  You have a wisdom and discernment that is beyond your years and I admire that in you.  I hear you talking and am regularly amazed at the insight you have.

I pray you use your life to honor and serve God and that you allow Him to do mighty things through you.  I pray that the worries of this world rise up in you a strong faith and not a defeating fear.  I pray that you rest in contentment and acknowledge the Lords hand in every detail.  I pray that you will confidently dwell in the calling God has on your life and thrive.  That you will use every ounce of your strength to love the Lord and to love others.  That after you, the Godly legacy you live out will impact the generations to come.  Judge wisely your actions and live with integrity and character.  God has instilled it in you, son, He's called you before the beginning of time to be His and with that calling you have the Holy Spirit inside of you, guiding you in all you do.

What a life you are going to have, duck- what a life!

How do you even end a post like this.  A million memories are in my heart, there's so many things I want to say.  But, to be honest, it's all been said.  We are a family that doesn't hold back :)  And the rest, the million memories, like most mothers, we tuck them away in our heart- cherished and adored with an indescribable thankfulness.

It's been a great privilege to raise you, Ry.  You have brought dad and I an immense amount of joy and laughter and we are so proud of the man you have become.

Thank you so much.

I love you
lots and lots

Love,
Mom









Ry is in the pink helmet racing at the Enduro Max


and I got to watch him race....so exciting BUT so nerve wracking!!








June 5, 1999



October 24, 2020

No comments: