Saturday, February 1, 2025

It wasn't as cute as what I thought


 It's funny now but, it wasn't (to Matt) when it happened :)

Prior to my breast cancer diagnosis (May 2022), I had never taken a consistent daily prescription.  Every once in a while antibiotics would be needed but, overall, I prided myself that my body knew how to take care of itself.  The thing about most standard oral antibiotics is they are either horse pill status, liquid, or multicolored (at least the ones we've been prescribed).  Personally, I think it's harder to mistakenly take them.

This is not the case with Letrozole, a medication I take daily to help keep the hormone estrogen suppressed in my body, and Matt's prescription for Levothyroxine- a daily med he takes to supplement for his low thyroid.  At the time, both were small pink tablets in the same size prescription bottles.  Unless you looked at the inscriptions on the tablets (or the bottle you were taking the med out of), it's hard to tell the difference.

For some idealistic reason, when I first put the Letrozole bottle in the cupboard, where it would be easy to grab each evening to take, I thought it would be cute to put my med bottle by Matt's bottle of Levothyroxine.  Just the two matching bottles by each other, representing that we were both on a daily medication now.  I remember standing and looking at the bottles thinking how cute they looked side by side and wondering if Matt would notice.

It was just before Christmas (2022) when I started Letrozole.  I had finished chemotherapy the month before and had just begun the first week (of six) of radiation.  I had 30 tablets when I put the Letrozole in the cupboard and knew it would last into January (2023).  A few weeks after I started taking it, Matt started saying how tired and off he was.  At first, I thought it was stress or possibly my radiated body lying next to him all night (I googled if I was emitting radiation- supposedly I wasn't).  As the days wore on, he started coming home from work a little earlier and a little earlier.  I remember one day he came home and went straight to bed- it was 2:30 p.m.  What in the world!

As I grabbed my Letrozole, about two weeks into my first month, I noticed there were only a few pills left.  I knew I hadn't dropped or lost them but could not figure out where they could have gone.  I asked Matt if he knew what was going on and he didn't.  It was about this time that I grabbed Matt's Levothyroxine bottle and opened it up- noticing that his medication looked a lot like mine......

I called my oncologist's office the next day to let them know that I would need to get a refill early.

Matt had mistakenly taken one of my Letrozole each morning, for over a week, instead of his thyroid medication.  He was incredibly annoyed that I had put our meds by each other and I was incredibly annoyed that he did not read the medication bottle each morning, before taking it.  I assured him that while it may have been inconvenient for him, how he physically felt (and hopefully not life threatening- I never did google whether or not it was), he would now be better equipped to provide empathy when I told him how terrible the medication made me feel some days...he wasn't impressed.

The medication bottles got separated, never to be close to each other again...I guess it wasn't as cute as what I thought!



No comments: