Eli, Julie, and Isaiah (even Buddy and Pono)- we are so blessed to consider you guys our 'Hawaii Family'! (Antone, Dionne, & fam and Martin & Mary- we are so blessed to have you as our Hawaii family too)
______________________________________________
Feb. 2012
One of the hardest things for my 12 year old son Ryan has been the fact that we moved home from Hawaii. He has struggled with missing the ranch we lived on, missing the beach, and missing the buddies he had made in the two years we lived on Kauai- particularly Isaiah............
As a parent, watching your children create and experience friendships that are not only healthy but complimenting to their personalities is such a blessing- Ryan and Isaiah spent countless after school hours roaming the beach, hunting, body boarding, riding dirt bikes, and hanging out at each other's houses.....
Trying to be a relatable mommy and to start helping him compartmentalize the specialness of his friendship with Isaiah but also live his life in Oregon I told him the story of my Nic....
In the summer of 1989 my dad's family decided to start the tradition of a bi-annual family reunion- This reunion brought 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cousins together. I was 13 getting ready to turn 14 that summer and not super excited about going to a family reunion when I could be hanging out with my friends. The first night of the reunion (which was a 2 nighter) I met my 2nd (or maybe 3rd) cousin Nicole- Nicole was 15 and full of life- she had a twinkle in her eye that I completely understood.........she also had a love for the Lord that radiated from her- We clicked immediately and made some great memories that reunion.......one of the funniest was sitting in the women's bathroom for a greater part of the night talking...For most of the night my eye kept catching the sign that said 'DO NOT PUT SANITARY NAPKINS IN TOILET!' and sitting beside that sign was a dirty old plunger- Earlier in the day both of us had been thrown into the river by our mischievous cousin Steve- We knew that Steve was sleeping in the 'common room'- A room that housed several bunk beds- It was the over flow room for people that did not have a cabin. We also knew that Steve was a very sound sleeper :) Steve did not wake up as we placed the plunger in his hand......nor did he wake up as we placed the sign (re: the sanitary napkins) directly on his chest- I'm really surprised he did not wake up to the very loud giggles of 2 teenage girls.......When the morning came he was found with plunger and sign still on his chest.........He was peeved and never did see the humor in it.....but he also never threw us in the river again! That was 26 years ago and Nic is still one of my dearest friends- A heart Friend- Nic and I have never lived close to each other- nor have we been able to visit each other more that a handful of times outside of family reunions- Our daily lives may be separate but our hearts are still connected- It is a joy to talk to her and like we have never spent anytime apart when we are able to catch up-
I was telling Ryan all of this to let him know that there is hope for his friendship with Isaiah- They may not get to spend everyday together like they used to- This just makes the time they do get to spend together that much more special........
Ryan and Isaiah were able to see each other today for the first time in a little over 8 months (Feb. 2012)- Isaiah's parents invited Ryan to join their family on a snowboard/skiing trip for a week.....As Ryan's plane took off this morning so he could meet up with Isaiah I thought about my friendship with Nic-
I know as parents we can not plan our kid's future but my heart was praying that Ryan and Isaiah's story will play out like Nic and mine......
| (L) Ryan (R) Isaiah 2010 (Kauai) Ryan (L), Jesse, Eli, Isaiah (R) on the beach in Hawaii 2011 |
Thanksgiving in Oregon 2013
| Spring Break on Kauai 2014 |
| Isaiah visiting Oregon 2015 |


1 comment:
Sis...that was neat to read how you and Nicole started your friendship. I never heard that story about the plunger, bathroom, sign, or Steve:). I'm excited to hear about Ryan's time...hopefully he takes some pics. Hopefully, Nicole gets this blog;). Well, love you and have a good weekend. When does Ryan get back?
Post a Comment