Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Rebuttal Reactions

Rebuttal-  'Rebuttal means an opposing argument in a debate.  A rebuttal is the claim, or proof, that an accusation or argument is false.'

Reaction- 'An action performed or a feeling experienced in response to a situation or event'

Rebuttal Reaction- Actions performed or feelings experienced in the way of an opposing argument or debate in response to a situation or event.

I once read that a new church started on the basis of a rebuttal to another church (or churches or denominations) will inevitably fail. To summarize the article (I wish I could find it to add the link on here) the woman (who has been a pastors wife for years) said that failure comes because the foundation of the church was not based on a calling from the Lord but on a foundation of anger, pride, hurt, etc. This congregation will not stop using rebuttal as their foundation in the structure of their church (thus always being in some sort of dissention) which leads to division and eventually the church dissolves.

The Lord used this article to grab my attention and zero in on some of my rebuttal reactions- To really look at the basis for my strong opinions/reactions and, using God's discerning wisdom, figure out if my strong opinions/reactions (which were usually causing some sort of division and dissention relationally with other Christians in my life) were based on God's truth or simply a rebuttal to a previous experience I had had..............

It was surprising how many of my opinions and reactions were simply 'my opinion'  rebuttals....absolutely nothing to do with Godliness but simply my strong will reacting to the situation with my opinion (and not God's). 

The Lord has been using this awareness to make me pause (sometimes before and sometimes after if I get ahead of myself and fall back into my old reactions) and question what the foundation of my opinions are- a mental checklist follows:

  • Is what I am negatively reacting to really a salvation saving issue (sin spelled out in the Bible) or simply a difference of opinion.  If it is a sin, absolutely confront it (Matt 18) in a Biblical manner with scripture backing you up and love leading the way.  It is surprising how often it is not a sin what the other person is doing but simply a different way of doing things than I would.
  • Is expressing my opinion for the persons good (again the non sinful things- we are always called to confront sin) or is it me simply needing to vent my view (causing damage to the relationship).
  • If what the other person is doing or expressing is getting me all fired up (again not the salvation saving issues) is it because I am battling an insecurity that I am not willing to face (this usually ends up being the root of my strong reactions to non sinful things- the Lord allowing a situation to touch on one of my insecurities so that He can lovingly heal me of it).........

It is so humbling for this opinionated strong willed mama to filter my rebuttal reactions......... To  react out of Godliness and not out of a previous hurt or current insecurity means a whole-lota-less reactions and a whole-lota-more holding my tongue...............

Heavenly Father thank you so much that 'Your desire is for what is true in the inner parts: in the secrets of my soul you will give me knowledge of wisdom' (Ps. 51:6).

No comments: