Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Welcome to Your 14th Year Ryno Chase

Coming into the world at 5:25 p.m. on Sat. June 5, 1999 was my Ryan Chase- He joined the world on Natalie Peck's graduation day, My high school friend Megan's Birthday, and my friend Val's Birthday.  It is strange the things you remember (and don't remember) about the day you give birth to your children..........

Dear Ryan,
I ate Taco Bell the night before I went into labor with you- I was reminded of this the whole day of your delivery- To this day mommy can not stand Taco Bell's ground beef.  We lived about 40 minutes away from the Hospital I was delivering you at and for some reason, that Sat. morning when I woke up I wanted to go spend the day with Nana (my mom).  Daddy was working and I did not feel like being alone- It did not help that I was 9 day's over due with you and very uncomfortable.  I knew if I was at Nana's she would help me with 3 year old Eli.  I was also headed to Natalie's (grew up with her older sister Kim- Kim went home to heaven on her 17th b-day.  Nat is like a little sister) graduation from high school and going to visit with my friend Megan. 
By mid morning I had called Megan to let her know that your labor had possibly started so canceling the visit would be best.  I also gave Nat a heads up that as long as you were not delivering I would make it to her graduation.
Daddy was working as the manager of the feed and farm department of a local farm store and worked most Sat. from 8-5.  He was going to take very minimal time off after you were born so it was decided that if that Sat. I was indeed in labor he would stay at work and I would call him when I felt like it was time to go to the hospital......
As the afternoon wore on it became obvious that labor was in full swing.  When mommy is having a lot of pain, certain things annoy me...heavy breathing in others (which is just normal breathing but sounds heavy when one is laboring), the stares of on lookers as the labor pains start really hurting, any sort of touching (hands off the back, no wash cloth on the forehead, no rubbing my back), and encouragement (I already know I am going to make it through the experience- I need to focus not have a cheering section).  Nanny is one of the most compassionate people we know and wants nothing more than to nurture, encourage, and touch- Bless her heart!!  During every hard contraction mommy had with you while I was in labor at nana's house I had her go outside- she would mow her lawn for about 5 minutes and come back inside where we would sit on her couch and talk like nothing was going on..........5 minutes later the cycle would circle around- Nanny called aunt Jodi to let her know that labor had started, and Auntie, being of the compassionate nature like Nana could not stand to know that I was in any sort of pain and she was not around to help.........
When I saw her drive into nana's driveway (about 3:30 in the afternoon) I crawled (having one of those bad contractions) to the bedroom I slept in while living at home and rested my head on my old bed.  With auntie looking on from the bedroom door with a concerned look on her face I did the only thing I could think to do to regain focus...........busted out in song...........Twinkle Twinkle Little Star :)
Mommy had nana call daddy at work around 4- I also asked Nanny to call Nat to let her know that I was not making it to her graduation.
Daddy made it to nana's about 4:30- walked in the door and asked me if on our way to the hospital he could go through the drive up at the bank to cash his check.........
I didn't even need to say a word- the glowering glare assured him going directly to the hospital would be best.
We arrived at the same hospital Auntie Jodi and I were born at, the same hospital Eli was born at, and the hospital you were going to be born at just before 5:00 p.m.
By 5:05 mommy was getting assessed by a nurse who, upon realizing how far into labor I actually was, calmly but in a very hurried manner said 'I need to go call the dr.'
In those 20 minutes it took mommy to deliver you I have 2 memories
first..As those hard contractions hit I begged daddy to kill me- The nurse in a very sharp tone got right in my face and said 'it is not our practice to kill people at the hospital, we save lives!!' (clearly she had never gone through a natural child birth delivering a 9 pound child) and second...begging the doctor for any type of pain medication- He promptly gave me a shot that numbed my left leg but nothing else...........it took almost a full day for the numbing sensation to wear off.
You were born at 5:25.....9 pounds 3 oz
A big beautiful healthy boy!!
Welcome to your 14th year Ryno Chase- We love you so much!

Mommy

P.S. My high school friend Megan was the only non-family visitor I allowed to visit me in the hospital after Ryan was born...Thank you for the visit Meg and Happy Birthday!

P.S.S. Happy Birthday Val!

Ryan almost a year old

No comments: