This blog post is titled 'A girl's guide to Goodwill....introduction'- I am using this post to share my credentials when it comes to Goodwill shopping- My next post will contain the actual advise. If there is ever any advise I would want you to take seriously from me it is my expertise when it comes to shopping this second hand store....smile.....big grin.....chuckle (but not such a deep chuckle that I pull my face towards my chest and give myself a double chin)
My love for Goodwill started in early high school (late 80's baby)- There is something about rummaging through oddles of used clothes that sits well with me. Paying $4.99 for a shirt that rack retails for $49.99 sits well with this frugal fashion-ista too.
Sure the smell in the stores can be a bit much, but for pete's sake, we must cut them some slack- The clothes don't get washed before being hung.....that's a whole lotta peoples 'smells' lurking in the Goodwill store air.
My Matt thinks Goodwill is disgusting- He refuses to wear the underwear I buy him from there.....joking about the underwear but serious about him thinking it's disgusting (Matt when you read this post I swear I have never bought you underwear from Goodwill- But you know those Calvin Klein Jeans you love so much.....yep, those had a $5.99 sticker on them....BOOM!!). I once bought Matt a whole bag of clothes from Goodwill. We were parked by a convertible at the time....At some point between me telling him I bought him clothes and us leaving the parking lot the clothes disappeared. I did not realize this until we got home and I was going to put them all in the wash- he acted like he didn't know where the bag went....many months later he confessed he had put the whole bag of clothes in the front seat of that convertible before we backed out of our parking spot.
I would venture to guess when the convertible owner opened the bag of treasure they felt like they had won the clothes lottery :)
Against my mom's better judgment she buys me 'Goodwill' gift certificates for my birthday (she thinks Goodwill is gross too)
For Christmas my Eli gave me a 'Goodwill' gift certificate....his only comment after giving it to me was 'That store Reeks'
75% of my closet (accessories, clothes, and shoes) is second hand and has been for 25 years..
of that 75% most if not all are name brand (J. Crew, Anthropologie, Anne Taylor, Michael Kors, Coach, Prada, Kate Spade, Tory Burch, UGG, Banana Republic, Dolce and Gabbana, the list could go on and on)
I don't throw the name brand around to sound pompous, I say it because I would rather pay $4.99 for that Anne Taylor shirt than $6.99 at Walmart for Faded Glory (There is NOTHING wrong with Faded Glory....I have some of it in my closet......but I would challenge you to compare 3 washings of your Faded Glory T-shirt to 10 washings of your Anne Taylor- hands down the higher end fabric will retain it's color and shape every time)....
I can feel my hands typing excitedly...my heart pumping a bit faster as the words pop up on the screen about my love for Goodwill stores- In the next post I will give some tips on how to have successful shopping trips to Goodwill....I will also give a list of name brands to look for in your shopping and a few other helpful hints.
I would like to nominate a new calendar holiday.....
'Happy Goodwill Shopping Day'- A day when all stores, except Goodwill and Chipolte (lunch after a morning of shopping) shut down and everyone goes shopping (like mandatory shopping)....
Would that be taking it too far??
of course not :) :) :)
see you soon,
Steph

No comments:
Post a Comment