With the move, the general store changed into a souvenir shop, specializing in Hones Cuckoo Clocks. During this time, Anneliese took over the shop and had children of her own, two boys. They grew up working in the shop, much like Anneliese.
Twenty years ago I told Matt that someday we would have either a cuckoo clock or grandfather clock on our wall. The clock would need to tell a story and have meaning behind it. In our travels, if the town has had a clock store, we have gone in- one of my favorites is a little clock store that sits just outside of the beach town, Brooking, in Oregon.
Each house we have moved into (11 total), one of the first things I do is look at the walls in the kitchen and living room and tell Matt were I think a cuckoo clock or grandfather clock would look best- he helps decide the best place. Though the spot on the wall sits empty, we both know what it is for.
I don't know how you know it's 'the one' but you just know. It's the moment, the place, the situation, the look, the reminder.
Our grandkids will get to look at our cuckoo clock and hear the story of how once, we were in Germany..........
![]() |
![]() |
| Anneliese Friese and her son |





No comments:
Post a Comment