Sometimes, the hardest thing about writing a blog post is the first sentence. For me, it needs to be just right and then the rest of the post flows. When I can't get that first sentence pegged, I tell myself that I'm not ready to write the post. It's just not there yet. It's still mulling in my brain, the Lord still working it out. I've been mulling over this blog post for quite some time. Not knowing how to start it, until today....
I'm tired of pat answer Christianity.
I'm not tired of Christianity, in fact, I love being a Christ following Christian.
But, I'm tired of pat answer Christianity.
Christian slogans thrown around as a blanket covering to sound spiritual.
I don't mean a straight out of the Bible answer that is applicable to the situation at hand, spoken from a heart of genuine care. Responses that might hurt to hear but come from the empathy and concern of a fellow Christian. Responses that are God's truth and wisdom, relayed through the human voice, covered in a love that only Christ can instill in us.
I'm talking about answers, in response to a hurt or difficulty, that lack any sort of love. Answers that may be the 'right' thing to say at the time but delivered from a wrong heart. Answers filled instead with a coating so think of spirituality your head is left spinning, instead of comforted. Your better off keeping silent, holding your tongue, asking the Lord to fill your heart with His love and insight for the situation before even a word is spoken. These types of answers show nothing of Christ.
Sometimes, I think we have to be careful about the spiritual head knowledge we obtain. We become so learned, so good at consuming Biblical insight, so puffed up with the pride of doctrine, we forget about our heart. Heart knowledge is a humble learning, a learning gained not for competition or significance sake, but for the sake of loving others better. For the sake of loving Christ more. Heart knowledge produces a servants response, pouring out into a situation in whatever way is needed. Head knowledge usually stays hands off, speaking the right words without a servants heart follow-up. Head knowledge is usually the one that stands back, observing the situation, having the most judgements about it. Judgements bore out of the inability to let their own heart be vulnerable before Christ and a pride that says 'I'm better than the person suffering'.
I'm tired of my own pat answers.
Challenged by my own responses to difficult situations.
Praying for the wisdom to have Godly words overflowing with truth and love, compassion and empathy, discernment and understanding. Praying that even when I am tired, all done, want to have my own brain space, I still turn to the Lord for the strength to have my responses as He would have them. Praying against communicating with my own empty words that 'sound spiritual', resorting to treating Christianity as a job to be accomplished instead of a relationship to be nurtured.
There is no pat answer to hard times. Each one comes with it's own set of understandings and learnings for all of us.
There is however a pat answer solution.
It will always be Jesus
Nothing more and nothing less
The key is communicating that pat answer solution without a pat answer Christianity.
Challenging for sure!
Happy Thursday to you all.

No comments:
Post a Comment