Tuesday, December 20, 2011

City Chickens part 1

Part 1 of 2
We currently live in the city limits, in a small track house, on a medium size city lot (1/4 of an acre)- The house that shares our back fence is a vacant foreclosure, the house to the back left has tenants that chronically fight and leave their back door open even in freezing temp. so the whole neighborhood can hear their fights, the house to the right has tenants that play ping pong outside at all hours of the day and night, and the house to the left are stealthy- you never hear them coming or going and really never see them.  I have been debating about  getting chickens (I think we can have 3 by law in the city limits).........I am wondering if getting a few chickens would be rude to do to my neighbors (although I would rather hear chicken noises than the neighbors fighting!) and I am wondering if I would have another failed attempt at raising chickens?

A couple of years ago I went over to my sis in law Liz's house and noticed that they had a chicken coop with chickens in their back yard- There home is a lot like our's in that they live in within the city limits in a community that has homes close by- When I asked her about it she said that the laws of their city allowed for a certain amount of chickens (I want to say between 3 and 6)-
We were living on Kauai at the time, on a large ranch that could easily accommodate several chickens.  This will come as no surprise to those that know me but for those of you that do not- I am not a natural at farmy type things- I see the world in pretty not practical- scooping poop out of farm animals pens would be more on the practical side- BUT after being at my sister in law's house, who has a great mix of pretty and practical, I was determined to teach myself a bit of the farmy practical-
When I got back to Kauai from my visit to Oregon, I found a feed and farm store about 15 minutes out of the town we lived in (we lived in Lihue and the farm store was located in Kilauea)- When I called to ask about chickens I knew that if this venture was going to work out- the chickens would have to lay white eggs- Since childhood, brown eggs have never sat right in my mind- I will say it till my dying day- something brown coming out of the backside of an anything should never be eaten..........
The gentleman helping me at the farm store told me that he could order in chickens that lay white eggs but the cost would be high and the wait time would be 6 weeks- I had him order 20............

Ryan :)
I thought I had a picture of the chickens but can not seem to find it-

____________________________


No comments: