The gentleman helping me at the farm store told me that he could order in chickens that lay white eggs but the cost would be high and the wait time would be 6 weeks- I had him order 20............
In between the time the chickens were ordered and the time they arrived we started having problems with a cat- The cat was wild with absolutely no desire to become domesticated- It was able to do things that usually only larger animals can do- tip over large outdoor trash cans, causing the lid to fall off and the contents to spill- We would constantly have maggoty trash throughout our yard. It stole a steak off of the bar-b-que in front of stunned guests at the main house (we were care taker's for several years on a ranch in Hawaii)- And went as far as banging it's body against one of the doors at the main house so it could get in. The guest staying at the time called down to our house alarmed that the cat was crazy :)
This is a total side note: From what one of my facebook friends said, one way to tell what the color of the egg will be is by the color of the earlobe on a chicken..........I'll have y'all know that the gentleman at the feed store where I bought my chickens told me that the color of the chicken determined the color of the egg!! I picked up 20 WHITE chickens......I Wiki'd the correct answer and my facebook friend was definitely in the know and feed store man was wrong!
When we picked the chicken's up I think I bought every accessory offered- food, food dish, water dish, vitamins, shavings for the bedding, a 'chick-a-brush' which was used to brush the wing and breast feathers at least one time per day- this was supposed to help in the emotional growth of the chickens- The feed store man assured me that happy chickens would lay lots of eggs!!.......................completely kidding about the chick a brush.....hee hee hee hee
I have to get to the point of this post cause I need to get dinner started.........
I NURTURED MY CHICKENS for 6 weeks- got them ready to spend their first night under the star lit Hawaiian sky- I put them in a large dog kennel outside that was completely enclosed except for a small portion of the roof- no worries though because the roof was 7 feet off the ground..........
I came out in the morning to feed and brush (LOL) the chickens and found 19 heads separated from bodies and 1 terrified chicken hiding in the corner- It was a crime scene for sure! We will never know exactly what happened but from what we could gather the cat scaled the chicken coop- got inside and beheaded the chickens (had they only known that they outnumbered that cat- they could have, as a combined group, given that cat a pecking it would never forget).
A lot of hard work, time, and money went into my experience with chickens........It really was a disaster!
![]() |
| In my mind this is what the cat looked like! Same color and everything :) |
| Our Christmas tree the first year we were in Hawaii |

No comments:
Post a Comment