Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Ellie and Heather's Furrowed Brow

I try to walk, usually with Ellie (in her stroller), several times a week- each walk is the same 2 or so mile 'loop' around my subdivision....Matt will sometimes join Ellie and I.  The same question usually comes out of his mouth each time he joins........'let's change the route up a bit- Why do you always walk the same loop?'  Just like his question, my reply is always the same...........so I don't have to think about where I am walking- I like going on auto pilot, letting my brain relax, and just think- If I go a new route I will have to 'check in' and pay attention to where I am going.....
Tonight, Ellie and I were on our usual loop- We were about a quarter of a mile in......I glanced down at Elle's just as she placed one of her little legs up on the stroller tray in front of her- She scooted back and was just lounging.  About the same time she did this she also turned her little curly hair'd head and looked up at me......her brows furrowed together........the look on her face with her little foot up on the tray immediately took me back to the wee morning hours of June 18, 2011.....

Our birth mom Heather, with her same foot propped up on my Durango's dashboard- her brows furrowed together........we were on our way to the hospital to see if she was having a case of false labor or if our Ellie was on her way.

As Ellie looked up at me and I looked at her, the furrow gave way to a smile and I stopped the stroller.  The memory was so clear- had she been older I would have sat down on the curb and told her all about the car ride to the hospital that early June morning......all about the first time I saw her birth mom and her brother Caiden.........all about her birth........about the days that follewed that we were able to spend with Heather and Caiden.......and so much more.  With the stroller stopped I came around the side of it- still looking at her smiling face and bent down.....my face right next to her's giving her a kiss.....She was content to look forward after that, foot still up- I carried on with my walk letting my 'relaxed brain' remember back.....
I have so much to tell you Ellie.......
Your Birth Mom has things she will want to tell you...........

Heather and I are friends on facebook- One of her friends, who is also a birth mom, posted this on Heather's wall- I cried when I read it (it is from the poem Legacy of an Adopted Child- Author Unknown)

Once there were two women
who never knew each other
one you do not remember
the other you call mother
two different lives shaped to make yours one
one became your guiding star
the other became your sun
the first gave you life
the second taught you to live in it
the first gave you a need for love
the second was there to give it
one gave you a nationality
the other gave you a name
one gave you the seed of talent
the other gave you an aim
one gave you emotions
the other calmed your fears
one saw your first sweet smile
the other dried your tears
one gave you up - it was all that she could do
the other prayed for a child
and God lead her straight to you
and now you ask me through your tears

the age old question through the years
heredity or environment- which are you the product of
neither my darling neither
just two different kinds of love!!!!

 
Thank you for this picture Cloudy  Day Photography

No comments: