On Thursday's my Ellie spends the day with my mom. Since Ellie started Pre School a few weeks back my mom picks her up on Thursdays when she get's out. Elle's school is one town over from where my mom lives and about a 10 minute drive away. I was headed into town this morning right around when she was getting out of school so I called my mom to see if she wanted me to do the pick up.............'Oh No, I am going to be over by her school anyway because sissy (my sister's daughter) and I got pedicures this morning' was my mom's reply- My sister lives very close to the school and my mom needed to drop Sienna off at home. I decided to drop by my sister's house so that I could say hi to her and her family and see Ellie when my mom dropped Sienna off..........
When it comes to adoption one of the big questions asked is what is genetic and what is environment- If an adopted child exhibits a certain behavior or symptom that is not typical of their adopted family statistics will dub it genetic (a peanut allergy would be genetic and not environment)...life choices inconsistent with the birth family's history could be credited to environment...etc.
One of the things I appreciate most about our birth mom Heather is that she has a spunky spark to her- She's going to call life like it is and not take guff off of others- I knew this attribute would fit perfectly into our family if Ellie inherited it (from what I have heard Elle's birth father Arthur was a bit more laid back)....Ellie is being raised with 2 older brothers that are hilariously rowdy- Her daddy is a tell it like it is kind of guy and her mommy is the same.......... the Genetic and environment lined up for the perfect match when it comes to spunk, spark, and calling life like it is for our Ellie....At a little over 2 and a half we have already had to tone it down in Elle's just a bit (she has taken up spitting, pushing, and even biting for awhile).
When my mom's van pulled up to Jodi's house and I saw Ellie jump out I went out to give her a hug. My mom pointed out a small bruise on the left side of her forehead and handed me a piece of paper. The paper was titled 'Incident Report' with an explanation following:
'She (Ellie) went to take a toy from another child, they then smacked her with another toy which left a mark on her forehead'
I immediately cringed inside as I asked the next question...
'Oh my gosh mom what did Ellie do after the child hit her with the toy???'
I know our Ellie- she don't take no guff......I've seen her in action- she get's pushed and the other poor child gets both of her petite hands laid on their chest with a power house shove
'It doesn't sound like she did anything- I guess she shook her head at the child and just kind of walked away'
Maybe in her mind she is starting to do checks and balances- She went to take the toy away and the child defended his toy...she would have defended her toy in the same way.....or maybe she is absorbing when we tell her that she may not hit (scratch, bite, push)- Whatever the case it was a big sigh of relief knowing that she handled herself like the little lady she is :)
Good Job Elle's!!



No comments:
Post a Comment