Monday, February 14, 2011

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!

I uploaded the below picture as my facebook profile picture today- It is a bracelet I made at a family reunion probably 15 years ago.  I keep it in the top drawer of my jewelry box and still break it out to wear from time to time!
This morning, before the sun was barely up I hear Matt roll over and whisper 'are you awake'? Our conversation went directly to how many Valentines Day's we have spent together:
I met Matt the fall of my Soph. year in high school (which was the fall I was turning 15)- We were friends almost immediately.  I knew he was someone special, but being so young I did not read to far into my 'feelings'- Valentines Day came and went that school year.  The next year, Matt and I had become closer friends and I think I speak for both of us when I say that we felt a strong connection but had never pursued going on a date- just school friends that held each others hearts at some deep level that I don't think either one of us completely understood.  The Valentines Day of Matt's Senior year and my Junior year we were still just good friends with a heart felt understanding that there was something 'special' between us that neither one of us could put into words- we had never even spoken about the 'specialness' between us- had still never gone on a date, held hands, or even spent ANY time together except for sometimes hanging out at lunch and talking during mutual classes.  Just before I was leaving school on that Valentine Day I went to my locker to put all of my books away- my locker had small slots at the top that were just wide enough to put notes, basically anything paper or thin, or cards- Out dropped a card...................................
On the outside of the card was cursive 'Steph' and on the inside was a gold bracelet and a card from Matt telling me that I was special to him and he loved me.
That was 19 years ago today!
Of those 19 we have spent 17 Valentines Day's married!
I love you very much Matt................Your my heart babe!
.

No comments: