When we decided to move to
Hawaii we had a BUNCH of important decisions to make. One of which was what school Eli and Ryan were going to attend- After much deliberation, some serious prayer, and visiting some different schools our whole family decided (we really wanted our boys to be a big part of the decision) that the local Public School was the perfect choice for our family. The odds were not in my boys favor- we were moving to a state that was known for their public school system being
below the national average. It was also somewhat nerve wracking hearing that our boys would be such a minority (I pulled the statistics but can not find where I filed it- I believe that in my boys specific school, being a Caucasian, they were in the 5% minority)- Also knowing that on our specific Island, which is a tighter knit 'local' community, Our boys would be classified as 'Howlie's' which is a term used by the Native Islanders to describe Caucasian's that have moved from the Main Land- for the most part I have found it to be used in a derogatory way. Why do I bring all of this up?
.
To let you all know that we have had a wonderful experience having our boys in the Public School system here! Last year Ryan went through his last year of elementary school and Eli finished up middle school here. This year Eli started high school and Ryan started middle school and still, Praise the Lord, our boys are thriving and doing well.
.
I had the 1:15 slot parent/teacher conference for Ryan on Fri.- I have not gone to a teacher conference this year because we were out of town for the first one- I see notes that teachers send home and I see Ryan's grades but thought it would be interesting to sit down with Ryan's teachers and hear how he was doing. I was also looking forward to being able to ask specific questions like, 'Is he respectful, does he pay attention, do you see him 'hanging' with a good group of kids'... The general common denominator between 4 teachers I met with was that Ryan is very respectful, likes to socialize (this put a smile on my face) and is very well liked, hangs out with a great group of kids, is somewhat impulsive, and over all a joy to have in class.
 |
Ryan at his schools 'May Day' getting ready
to do the Hula |
Ryno Chase, Daddy and I are so so proud of you! You had a huge life change moving from Oregon to Hawaii- you left family, friends, and comfort zone to go to a place you had never even been. You started school with no friends and nothing familiar and you have thrived! God Bless you Sweetie and GOOD JOB.
No comments:
Post a Comment