Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Dropping Butter on My Macy's Full Price Boots

Last Oct. (2010) I was headed to my home town in Oregon for a spontaneous visit-  I knew that Oct. in Oregon meant warmer days and cooler nights.
From what I have both heard and read, your blood thins down when you live in a constant warm climate- making what used to feel like a 'warm' day in Oregon (high 60's) feel pretty cool- the 'cooler' nights now feel frigid!
After realizing that I was going to be making a spontaneous trip to Oregon,  I went to our local Macy's to look for a warm pair of boots to wear on the trip- For the past 5 or so years before we moved, boots had been a staple in my wardrobe- Here in Hawaii wearing boots, to me, feels claustrophobic. I brought a pair over and wore them just a handful of times- My last experience with my boots was when I wore them to Church shortly after moving here- By the time service got started I had a sudden impulse to rip them off and finish the service bare footed because my feet felt like they were ON FIRE!  The sermon that day was lost to my overwhelming thoughts of freeing myself from the boots- When we got home my feet were so swollen I sat on our bed while Matt yanked as hard as he could to get them off- YUCK!
While at Macy's looking for a pair of boots I realized 2 things-
1.  I had no coupon (Julie- Where were you with those great $20.00 off Coupons :)
2.  I was gonna have to pay FULL PRICE for a pair of boots
I despise paying full price for things-
On our island, the shopping selection is limited- I knew my options were in my vision as I stood before the 'New Item' sticker in front of the boots at Macy's that day-
I brought the 'selected' boots up to the counter- asked the sales associate if they had any coupons behind the counter that they would mind scanning for me.  The curt 'NO' sealed the deal that I would pay full price for my boots..............
Back to the thin blood comment at the beginning of this post- I have noticed that my tolerance for heat has significantly risen over the last couple of years- what used to feel overwhelmingly hot now just seems normal- I think my blood has thinned down quite a bit (Hallelujah).
As I was getting ready for church this past Sun. I thought I would break out those Macy's full price boots and try wearing them- the weather was mild and over cast- not to hot- so the perfect day to 'try'.
All went well!  They were not to hot and did not feel claustrophobic AT ALL- I thought to myself multiple times how nice it was wearing jeans with boots here in Hawaii..........
Here's where the title comes into this blog post.  When we got home, I went straight to the kitchen- I was mashing potatoes and putting the 1/2 C. butter in when I dropped an almost melted piece on my right boot- It hit in 3 spots!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I grabbed my computer and Googled how to get butter stains out of leather- The advise was not super promising- the instructions were the following:
1. Blot area with a soft towel to get any excess (butter) off
2. Put Talcum Powder on the spots and leave for 8 hours- this may absorb the grease

I did the above.......  however, I substitute the 'talcum' powder for 'mineral veil' (bare mineral) because that was the closet thing I had to powder at my house.

The butter stains were still visible..............

I was completely desperate- I had convinced myself I could wear the boots with the stain but knew deep in the back of my mind I could not-

I went out to my laundry room- Grabbed the Shout and sprayed it all over both boots- I rubbed the grease spots with even more shout- let the boots sit- then ran them both under warm water and gently but firmly scrubbed.

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!! The butter came out and the boots look perfect- I wish I would have taken a before picture- Below is the after picture.

Oregon Oct.

No comments: