Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Marriage and Submission part 1

Ladies!!
I want to know your thoughts :) What has/is God showing you about submission in marriage.......even if you are not married but have been married in the past I want to know your thoughts- If you make a comment on my facebook, please feel free to send it in a personal message- for any comments made on my wall- please remember that this is a touchy subject with some strong opinions- Remember to stay focused on what God is teaching you- God is working in all of our lives, and how He is working in your life may look different than how He is working in someone else's- Unless you are 'liking' someones post on my wall please refrain from responding to opinions posted.  This is a 2 part post- I will post my question on this one and what I believe God has been showing me about the area of submission in the next one-  (I have been reading through my Bible as a new years resolution and came across the story below which really made me think.  I have been doing lots of praying lately about what submission should look like and area's that I need to grow in my submission......)

Having been a church going girl since I was 8 years old I have listened to and read a lot of sermons about submitting- Some I have whole heartily agreed with and others have set my temper on fire (women are door mats.....blah.......when Jesus was on earth He respected and treated women with honor and respect).  Like I said above, I have been doing a lot of praying lately about the area of submission- I realize and am trying to sort through the area's I have carried on from my childhood experiences regarding submission and make sure that my 'opinions' line up with what the Bible Says.  I know it is a touchy subject BUT it is a subject most of us are navigating through each and every day........

I was reading in 1 Samuel 25, which talks about a woman named Abigail who was married to a man named Nabal.  Nabal was a selfish and wicked man who made poor choices- Abigail was wise in her actions and looked out for the best interests of others- During the course of their marriage, Nabal made a very poor choice that was going to affect all of his household.......possibly to the point of death (Click HERE to read the whole story)- Abigail, being wise and unselfish, was forced to make a tough decision about submission to her husband- Did she follow the leading, in that moment, of her husband, who made a poor decision or did she cover her husbands  poor decision with a wise choice that stood against his?  She was forced to make this decision during a time period where woman were given very little value- a time period where women were taken for granted.
In the end, Abigail covered her husbands poor decision with a wise choice- a choice that stood against her husbands poor decision.  The Bible portray's Abigail as a woman that made a smart decision- one that God blessed her for.........God stood with Abigail in her decision.

Submission..............'the act of yielding to the will or authority of another person'

How was Abigail being submissive to her husband?  How was Abigail being submissive to God if she was not yielding to the authority of her husbands decision?
____________________________________

picture compliments of This site

1 comment:

Kerrie said...

Ok, I'm going to leave a comment - I'm feeling brave! :-) I've read quite a few things on submission myself and have had similar reactions to yours, but overall, I feel that it's the heart that matters. Am I always looking for a way to do my own thing or am I always trying to do my best to follow where he leads? For me, another convicting lesson recently was if I'm treating my husband as I would if he were an unbeliever and I were trying to "win him over without a word". Do I shine the gospel to my believing husband? Would I treat him differently if I were trying to "convert" him? Again, it's about the heart towards him. Do I have a heart attitude that says that I respect omy husband and the office he holds or one that says that I am smarter/more godly/a better leader than he is and that serving him is a drudgery? Do I assume he is a Nabal? Gotta run - helping hubby at work today! :-) Thanks for posting this. I look forward to reading part 2!