Today's Blog Post ended with:
How was Abigail being submissive to her husband? How was Abigail being submissive to God if she was not yielding to the authority of her husbands decision?
I personally believe that Abigail submitted to God first and her husband second and that she was right on in doing so (Matt 22:37)- Had she been submitted to her husband first she would have never gone above him and made the judgment call to talk to David. Abigail was being submissive to God by following His commandments first- What her husband Nabal did was wicked (1 Sam 25:17). God, in His infinite wisdom, set up His relationship with us so that it was individualized- meaning that my relationship with God is separate from Matt's relationship with God- just because I am a Christian does not mean that Matt is a Christian- He has to have his own personal relationship with God (which I am so thankful to say that he does). I am accountable to God for my actions and Matt is accountable to God for His actions. Abigail did not have a relationship with God because Nabal had one- Abigail had her own personal relationship with God- She was not accountable for Nabal making a wicked decision- That was between Nabal and God- But she was accountable for how she responded to Nabal's decision once she learned about it. I believe had she sat back and done nothing she would be committing the sin of omission (James 4:17).....I believe that Abigail yielded to God's Authority and covered her husbands decision with actions that were Godly.
As I have been praying through where God wants my attitude to be when it comes to submission in my marriage I believe He is laying on my heart to learn more about submission to Him first- I feel Him nudging on my heart to dig deeper- Ask for wisdom (James 1:5)...........If I work on my submission to God and focus on what He is calling me to do I have a feeling everything else will fall into place........ :) I'll keep you posted!
p.s. thank you so much for the comments- enjoyed reading them!!
![]() |
| Matt and I walking along the foggy beach |

1 comment:
OK,Sis, as Kerrie was feeling brave when she commented so I am feeling brave leaving this thought:) I, as you know, have been on a quest seeking what submission to my husband means according to the Lord. Today is so full of women's lib that it is difficult to grasp the idea of true submission. The Word says to submit to your husband as unto the Lord. That to me says it all. Wives today feel like they can filter their submission thru their 'spiritual senses'. Do I filter what the Lord asks of me thru my 'spiritual senses' or do I obey w/out question b/c it is the Lord. Prayerfully, a Godly woman will obey the Lord w/out question. When He says to 'Obey your husband as unto the Lord' you are to obey him w/out question as you would as if the Lord were speaking. The Lord leads and guides wives thru their husbands...that is the chain of command He set up, "For the husband is head of the wife even as Christ is head of the Church" Eph 5:23. There are parameters set around the husbands sphere of leadership and that would be if he asks his wife to do anything that causes her to sin against the Lord. As in the case of Nabal I believe Abigail knew that her whole entire household stood to be killed b/c of Nabals pride and she rose to cover her husbands stupidity. If my husband was as stupid and prideful as Nabal I would hope I could handle that situation as nobly and graciously as Abigail. Submission is sooooo hard when you disagree on a passionate level. I struggle often but I also understand what the Lord requires of me even if I don't like it. I am so glad you tackled this topic. There are so many broken homes and marriages and the root of it is this very subject...submission. I love you and look forward to reading more. Feel free to tell me your thoughts about what I wrote.:)
Post a Comment