'Do you home school?'
No, my boys go to public school.........
This mom gave me a thoughtful look and I really wanted to explain where I was coming from. I know she is a passionate home schooling mama who adores her kids- I also know that I am a passionate public school sending mama who adores my kids........We had a common denominator though- We both Love and Serve the Lord.
In the past, I have been in conversations with passionate home schooling Christian ladies and by a lot of my own doing, it's gotten ugly- things like
your kids are going to be socially retarded
well your throwing your kids to the wolves
They've got to learn to function in the real world at some point, better it sooner than later
I choose to protect my children and be a 'hands on parent' not just send them off to school...
so on and so on until the division between us is icky
I, not glorifying the Lord one bit but instead ranting my opinions-
It's been a conscience humbling effort on my part- to submit all of my thinking, including my opinions to the Lord- Let Him sift through them and set me straight...this topic (the type of schooling you choose for your children) has been one the Lord seems to keep bringing back around- He wanted me to learn a thing or two (probably a million things in regard to this topic :) ......
With her thoughtful eyes looking at me I softly explained (instead of my usual heated & loud passionate voice) 'You know, something the Lord has really been showing me is that it does not matter where our kids are going to school- whether it is public, private, or at home..........what matters is that we are doing what He has called us to do- If He has called you to home school then AMEN and do it for His Glory.........If He (the Lord) has called Matt and I to send our boys to public school then AMEN and may we do that for His glory also!! Instead of trying to convince eachother that one or the other is the 'RIGHT' way let's talk about what we are teaching our kids to do for the Lord...How are we teaching them to live for God in the enviornment they have been placed in?'
Her eye's got bright and she told me an amazing story of how an extra curricular activity her son is involved in, he was able to influence those around Him in a Godly way-
I explained how one of my sons has been able to invite a friend who is not a Christian to youth group....
CHRIST WAS OUR COMMON GROUND- NOT OUR SCHOOLING STYLE!
We ended the conversation on a pleasant note and the day went on.........
'And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus'

2 comments:
Amen.
And again I say amen.
As a parent who has done all three - public school, homeschool and now private Christian school.....I can totally see that all three were right at the time....
At the end of the day its all about being obedient for what we're all called to do.
Thank You for this comment Fiona- Hope God is blessing your family immensely!! P.S. You are very missed here in the USA-
Post a Comment