Sunday, March 11, 2012

18 tips to celebrate 18 years of marriage

This July marks Matt and my 18th Wedding Anniversary- I would be lying if I said it was all bliss :) We've had amazing moments and we've had really hard, painful moments.........I think of our friends Margie and Dennis who celebrated their 41 wedding anniversary- I would love to hear their list of tips- What has helped to navigate their marriage through the 41 successful years- I would ask for 41 as it seems fitting to go along with their years of marriage (I'm gonna send them this blog post and see if they will do it- If they do I will most definitely post their tips!!)
Here's my compiled list of tips.......


  1. I've got to put this at the top of my list cause without Him I honestly do not know where Matt and I would be as not only people but as a married couple- GOD..........God covers the gaps that we as humans are unable to cover- He meets the needs and gives strength so that we can make it through not only life but marriage.
  2. DATE NIGHT- A faithful ritual since Eli was a baby carried on through Ryan and now Ellie......It's so easy to let our marriage loose priority when we are dealing with the everyday demands of life- 
  3. KEEP THE PASSION ALIVE- I am a firm believer that it's healthy to let your kids see you kiss your husband/wife......heck, go as far as to slap each other on the butt once in awhile in front of them :)
  4. BE A PART OF EACH OTHERS STORY- Matt and I do not have a ton in common......sometimes on the fly we will do something with the other person just so we can be part of the others story (example- Matt will go on a walk with me or go walk around Good Will with me- both of which he despises.....when I ask why he's going he'll say 'cause I want to be part of your story'.......This morning I found myself driving to a town a half hour away with him while he did some business so I could be part of his story)
  5. Say 3 things you love or admire about each other everyday
  6. Show up unexpectedly at the other persons work just to say 'hi' and I love you
  7. Laugh together........especially over the situations that are completely stressful
  8. Pray together and Pray for each other
  9. Leave random notes saying you love each other
  10. Send a text 'just because' with something special (not 'I'm taking a dump!' hee! hee!)
  11. Ask each other how you honestly feel about something you are facing
  12. Hold Hands
  13. Fight for healthiness in your marriage- don't give up......
  14. On the above note- COMMUNICATE- Even if it means going to see a counselor- Matt and I have gone 2 times in our marriage.....once at about 5 years and once at about 10 years- both times were regarding learning to communicate better- If we keep on our cycle, we are about 3 years overdue!
  15. My sister in Law Liz sat on my couch and gave me this advise- 'Take a Risk.......Risk giving your heart over and over to your spouse- even when you want to hold back and hang onto that hurt or grudge..'
  16. Be individuals as well as a couple- enjoy things together as well as separate
  17. Say I love you every chance you get- every phone conversation- every text you send- It's something that can not be said enough
  18. It's got to be said just one more time and on an ending note.............DON'T GIVE UP- It's gonna be so hard during some seasons but remember that after every storm comes clear blue skies.....




1 comment:

Jessica said...

I save the "I'm taking a dump" texts for my brother. He definitely deserves them. Ha!

All kidding aside, great blog. I want Rene' and I to be together forever, because if I thought my first marriage was hard, the divorce was WAAAAY harder. It is worth the labor.