Brian had just moved down from a town 3 hours North of us, Janette was trying to better herself by getting a trade behind her to help support her 2 little girls, Sara was a natural- she caught on to everything super quick, Margie M. had amazing red hair and was a fire cracker- she had me convinced that no woman should be without a concealed weapons permit, Margie H. could have you talked out of any possession you own- the girl was a classy mooch (she didn't just come out and ask for what she wanted- she worded it so that you felt this need to give it to her), and Max......Max was all about his girl friend who was pregnant with their son that they were going to name Max-
As we were being ushered out onto the floor (except for Sara- who had found out she was pregnant in that 2 month time and decided not to keep going) and shown our station's I distinctly remember thinking I had it all under control- I had been doing hair since I was 11 years old and in my mind I knew it all......
Back in the day, when you made an appointment at a beauty school you could choose what level of hair dresser you wanted- The cheapest was the freshman (right out of the instruction room with no experience on 'actual' people) up to a senior- which was someone getting ready to graduate from the school- The price range would go from $4. for a haircut by a freshmen up to $8. from a senior-
In my know it all state, I turned my nose up to asking for any sort of help and dove right in- Bring on those clients and make sure I get the colors cause I love me some colors........
The poor unsuspecting woman that sat in my chair that first day- She had short black hair that in my mind needed hi-lights......I envisioned her (after I was done of course) with blonde accenting those black locks- she would be asked by all of her colleges at work who had done her hair and then the beauty school would have a line out the door with people wanting my expertise........hee! hee!
Doing a Weave was not allowed yet at my school- It was to new and the instructors wanted us to stick with a method called frosting- Frosting was when you put a tight plastic cap on one's head- the cap had small blue markers where you would use your sharpened crochet hook to break the lining of the plastic and pull through small amounts of hair all over- If your hair was long, it looked like spaghetti noodles dangling out when you had bleached the hair-
As I put the frosting cap on my client I noticed that it had already been used once- someone had made some pretty big holes when they had pulled the previous person's hair through- Not to worry though because I would not use those same holes- I would make my own holes- smaller ones that were closer together-
After the appropriate hair was pulled through and the bleach was put directly on the plastic cap and extended out to the ends of the hair- I put my client under the dryer to process my perfection-
As I was rinsing the finished product I knew something was not right- Her hair looked just like someone had skinned a leopard and placed it on her head-
This whole story is true- each and every last word...........She took one look in the mirror and a shocked look came over her- the shock wore off and in it's place she furrowed her brows- I called over my instructor to figure out what in the world was going on- Collette (instructor) got a twinkle in her eye and asked me if I had used a 'used' frosting cap- with my confirmation she said that because I had put the bleach directly on the plastic cap- it had settled into the big holes that were already on the cap and left the leopard prints- As she was explaining all this to me my client had worked those furrowed brows into a death glare and then to a full blown fury- Nobody tried to stop her as she jumped up out of the chair and stomped out of the school- right past the desk where you pay and out through the glass store front door.....
Until I was a senior, I never did another color without consulting my instructors and asking every possible question I could about what I was doing-
Pride really does go before a fall :)
My whole Freshmen Class (except for Sara) graduated and as of 10 or so years ago, we were all still doing hair :) Put that one in your statistics!!
![]() |
| :) :) |

No comments:
Post a Comment