Matt said he was feeling so nauseous during the night, every time the clock would chime that exaggerated slow chime it made him want to throw up- He said he could not stand listening to it anymore and put it the only place he thought he would not be able to hear it- outside the front door. I laughed when he told his completely serious story and thought he was being dramatic.
Fast forward 10 years and move the scene 3000 miles over the Pacific to the island of Kauai. The view, looking out of our bedroom window, was this tall skinny palm tree- This thing was lean with sparse palm leaves. The wind could be non existent and it would still be swaying. I could not look out the window for very long while laying in bed because it made me incredibly motion sick to watch- I tried and tried to explain to Matt it was equivalent to the clock I referred to above. He thought I was being completely dramatic (I swear I'm not being dramatic- It might be a bad time to throw in that the same birds chirped EVERY SINGLE MORNING so between that swaying tree and the same sound of the birds It felt a bit Ground Hog day movie-ish).
I would lay in this hammock that hung between two Plumeria Tree's a couple times a week- It was no more than 15 steps out our front door. If you laid one way the palm was in your vision to the left or if you laid the other way you would face a few out buildings- This day I was laying facing towards the palm reading my book.
The wind was not blowing so I don't know what brought it down- Maybe the rain water that was still sitting on the low lying areas from the heavy rain we had just before........I heard the small crack and looked up just in time.............In no longer than it took to blink the palm tree fell down!!
WHOOP! WHOOP!
No more laying in bed watching it sway........
I turned back to my book with a smile on my lips- My head resting on my pillow, plumeria flowers filling the air with a wonderful smell and the ever beautiful and persistent Hawaiian sun beaming down on me!
| My nephew Jess and Ryan sitting by the Hammock making Plumeria Lei' necklace |
No comments:
Post a Comment