Saturday, March 10, 2012

A Daddy and His Girl

Matt stayed very practically minded during our adoption process- He attached enough to the process itself to functionally complete the home study and education required to begin our adoption process but did not overly attach himself to the point that he could 'imagine' life with a baby- His view was he would process those feelings if/when our adoption became a reality. He would roll his eye's every time I would come home with baby clothes (pre adoption) and would say the same thing 'Don't you want to see if we adopt or not'- I would  answer that, for my personality type, I would rather be prepared for adoption (both emotionally and practically) then shocked or unprepared when it happened.  
I called Matt a little after midnight on June 18, 2011 (We were living in Hawaii at the time and I had flown in to Oregon the prior week to meet our birth mom Heather- Matt stayed back in Hawaii to work until Ellie was born) to let him know that I was on my way to pick up Heather because she was feeling some pretty consistent contractions.  Heather and I were going to the Hospital so she could get evaluated....the evaluation confirmed that Ellie would be born within the day.  
At the news that Elle's would be arriving, I saw the first non practical emotion from Matt.....a simple 3 word text illuminated the hospital room in those wee morning hours.......'I'm so excited!'
That first non practical emotion gave way to a flood more.........'She's amazing' I hear him say at least once a day- 'Your perfect, your beautiful...' are the words pouring out of his mouth as she crawls over to him and say's 'da da'- It is so wonderful to see that without guard or hesitation, this daddy ADORES his little girl........

Thank you Lord Jesus for the beautiful gift of adoption- For Ellie, her birth mom Heather, and for the support our family and Ellie's biological has shown......May you always be glorified through her precious life.

The first time Matt held Elle's

Multi Tasking :)

3 Months Old


Love this


No comments: