Friday, March 2, 2012

Sheree's Appalachian Tomatoes

I was on a sight seeing trip to the East Coast with my sister in law Rhonda and Matt.  We would be traveling for a week through several states.  Because there was 3 of us on the trip, and to make it equal for everyone we decided that each of us could have 2 day's to sight see wherever we wanted in our designated area (which included 4 States).  Rhonda choose Washington D.C. and Arlington National Cemetery for her days, Matt choose Valley Forge and Gettysburg, and I choose Manhattan and Lancaster (Amish Country).  We touched down in Philly and drove the first night to a little town in New Jersey (the states we were going to be seeing are small so driving from one state to the other could be done in a few short hours).  The next morning, we made our way by ferry to Manhattan (whoop! whoop!) and then whizzed off to Lancaster,Pennsylvania (although we did make a detour on our way into Hershey, Pa to tour the Hershey Chocolate Factory- So Fun!).  As we arrived at our Hotel in Lancaster that evening we decided that taking a swim sounded fantastic- Rhonda and Matt headed to the pool and I headed for the hot tub.  A few minutes after I sat down, a woman about my age came and sat down by me.....
Sheree and her husband were on an Anniversary Trip visiting Lancaster from a town about 4 hours South in Virginia.  As we started talking about travel, family, and everyday life.   I told her how excited I was to visit Amish Country- Especially so I could try their home grown/made food (and buy a quilt).  It was right around that time that Sheree got a twinkle in her eye and told me the following story-
Tucked away at the base of the Appalachian mountains was the small community of Ashland, Virginia.  Ashland had been Sheree's home for most of her life- During the course of her adult life, She had developed a skill for growing tomoatoes- She said that the weather in her town was perfect for growing this certain fruit HUGE and they would melt in your mouth when ripe.  Along with growing the tomatoes, she had taught herself how to can them so that she and her family could enjoy her harvest all year long.  Because there was so many families that would can their produce in the area, her community had joined together in creating a canning station during a certain season every year.  At this canning station, the city would provide (for a minimal fee) the space needed, the can's, and the resources to preserve your produce- As Sheree was talking about her yummy tomatoes I kept saying 'Wow, they sound delicious!'  Just before our conversation ended she said she wished she would have packed a few can's so she could let me try them- As soon as those words left her mouth she followed up with 'I'll send you some!'........
When the package filled with can's of Sheree's tomatoes arrived I was excited to open and try them- They were everything she had described :) I wrote her address down and sent her some fun stuff from a local mill that makes their own flour etc...- Every year since, we have exchanged Christmas cards and updated eachother on our lives- Sheree is still canning tomatoes, one of her boys had gotten married, and her daughter is in high school-
It's neat to think that our simple conversation about Sheree's Appalachian tomatoes left a lasting effect on both of us and that almost 5 years later we are still in contact.
Matt and I walking in Washington D.C. on our East Coast Trip

No comments: