'Is it a hunting story?'
'No'
'O.K. then sure.....'
This was the conversation between Matt and I early last week-
He the story teller and I the listener.......
Matt needed to do something up at the horse barn and I had decided to tag along....
There are several barns here at the ranch- A cow barn that is shelter for many a cow and calf all winter, an abandoned cow barn that used to shelter many a cow/calf, and the horse barn....
Technically, I would venture a guess that horse barn is not the correct term- barn sounds so.....so...cringe worthy- someplace you need to wear waders because the cow poop is so deep....where the smell of cow sweat is so think you are holding your coat over your nose and your eyes are watering- I would say the correct description for the horse barn that has an indoor arena and 20 horse stalls would be..... A HORSE RESORT!
Matt needed to do something up at the horse resort early last week and I had decided to tag along :)
We were sitting on the 4 wheeler just inside the long bay where all 20 of the horse stalls are located when Matt asked me if I wanted to hear something funny- Once I said 'sure' he pointed to a rope with a knot on the end of it hanging down from the rafter in the ceiling. The knot on this rope would get a horse leash (line, tether, not a halter but the rope that comes off of a halter so you can lead the horse around) clipped on to it ensuring that the horse would stay put when it was being washed. The knotted rope hung smack in the middle of the ally towards the end of the long bay- It was raised high enough that one would not hit their head on it (even when on the 4 wheeler) but low enough that you could easily reach up and access it.
'See the knot on the end of the rope that is hanging from the rafter?'
'Yeah'
'I hit my head on it so hard yesterday I thought I was going to pass out'
I really thought my Matt was joking when he told me so I asked the obvious next question....
'How did you hit your head on it?'
Matt is a very practical man- His brain works things through methodically never giving way to perceivably foolish impulses (he was never one to dive if there is the possibility of doing a belly flop- I would do a belly flop every time.... He has the self discipline to save that dollar in his pocket while I would have spent it the second I got it probably buying myself and all my friends something fun)......so the next part of the story caught me by surprise and by the time he was finished I was laughing so hard I had tears smearing the mascara right down my face....
'I was feeding the horses and the rope caught my eye....I wondered to myself what it would feel like to let the rope brush against the top of my head when I rode by on the 4-wheeler'
A very impractical thought for my very practical man....
'I was going about 40 miles an hour down the ally and stood up on the 4-wheeler just before I got to the hanging rope'
Expecting it to gently graze against the top of his head, Matt was shocked when the knot on the end of the rope landed HARD against his head
'It about knocked me off of the 4-wheeler- instead of falling back I fell forward in pain and complete shock'
He started seeing stars and was sure that he would be found by one of us knocked out on the ground under the swinging rope......
He grabbed my hand and had me feel the damage done
The knot on the side of his head was that of a medium size potato.......
We laughed and laughed......usually the stupidly hilarious things are done by me......
Maybe after 20 years of marriage I am finally starting to rub off on this practical man of mine....
Maybe next he will be joining facebook and starting a blog......hee hee hee hee!!!
I was taking Ellie for a stroll this afternoon around the lake and ended up bringing her to the horse barn- As we rode down the ally I told her the story about how the knot rang her daddy's bell....After telling her I promptly came home, grabbed my camera, and headed back up to take some pictures!!
No comments:
Post a Comment