Friday, April 25, 2014

getting used to cow poop, honkers, and outhouses

Since moving out here to the farm/ranch.......the fanch........getting used to 'new' things has been the norm. 
  • Getting used to the perpetual smell of cow poop in our mud room- the room where we take off our shoes just before walking into the kitchen...That's where all the boys, mine, and Ellie's bog boots stay...one or all always seem to have cow poop on them (even after washing off- that stuff is sticky)
  • Getting used to the Honker Ducks Geese Honking all during the night.  I love animals and in general do not agree with the killing of them (never mind that my boys are avid hunters)....At three in the morning when the Honking just won't stop I've had thoughts of firing random shots into the lake with the hopes of hitting one or all of the honkers- feeling guilty would be smothered by feeling the relief of getting to sleep a night through.  I wonder if there is a surgery similar to removing the bark from a dog.....maybe I could round up all the honkers on the lake and bring them to the vet to have their 'honkers' removed!!  p.s. a few days ago I saw 2 of the honkers looking extra proud as they swam out onto the lake- upon further inspection I saw they had babies swimming by them...................NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!   
  • This one has been the hardest to get used to....There are certain cow antibiotics that MUST be refrigerated....we have only one refrigerator at our house- Before we moved out here we had 2 refrigerators...1 in the house and 1 in the garage- the garage fridge went out and we have never replaced it.  There is something just gross about knowing animal antibiotics are sharing the same tight air space as our eating food...After opening the produce drawer and seeing the antibiotics I recoiled just a bit and had to reason my way through not throwing all of the food in the fridge out....I did throw it out of the produce drawer though- no touchy touchy when it comes to animal antibiotics and our food.
While on the subject of getting used to 'new' things.....I started thinking about a conversation my sis and I had a few weeks ago- I was out visiting her at their new farm and we both had to tink.....my sis and her family are in an unique situation right now in that their facilities consist of an outhouse- Sitting in a small enclosed area where you are breathing in the smell of yours and others excrement would only be done because somebody's life was at stake and that was the only way to save them....oh my goodness can you imagine if the way to save them was to eat brown eggs while sitting in an outhouse on a 100 degree day........there would be no saving....sorry :) :) :) :) Back to my sis and I both having to tink (we went outside- squatting side by side talking the whole time)- after the fact we stood up and looked at the goings on...we noticed that the ground soaked right up Jodi's and mine just sat- like oil against water.  My sis joked that I ate too many pesticides (she is organic) and the ground would not accept what I had to offer...We laughed and carried on....My sis and her family have been getting used to lots of things in their new venture in life- My sis is adjusting like a champ (doesn't even complain about the outhouse) Good Job sis!! I'm proud of you and love you.

No comments: