Saturday, April 14, 2012

Calm and Chaotic Seasons

It's not so much important as it is interesting to me living the 'baby phase' all over again after being out of it for over 10 years- Observing the changes both physically and emotionally in Matt and I that have taken place in that decade span is intriguing.
Our boys were out doing other things last night and Matt and I were home with Ellie.  After tossing a few ideas around we decided that walking the Mall was the best option for a night out.  It struck me, as we were deciding what to do, that when our boys were little we would have thought nothing of throwing them in the car and, on impulse, driving half the night to some destination that we thought sounded fun.  We would then spend a chaotic weekend taking in everything we could possibly squeeze in and come home exhausted.  Our boys would nap in their car seat while we were driving or in their stroller while sight seeing- Bed time would be whenever we were done with all the activities.  Meals would be whatever fast food restaurant was on the way. Routine and Schedules were frowned upon and spontaneous was revered!
Funny how one of the first things Matt and I discussed last night before making our plans was how much time we had until Elle's bed time- We wanted to have her home by that time...keep her on her schedule.....
As Matt and I strolled around the mall, he pushing the pink flowered stroller and me keeping stride beside, I mentally noted how much routine and predictability had come into our lives during this season of Ellie being a baby.  As Matt and I oohhed and aaahhh'd over Ellie standing with Arthur the Plastic Cartoon Character, both of us together taking in the sight, I noted that it did not take nearly as much to entertain us as it used to............but on a flip note, Ellie will not know even a fraction of the spontaneous excitement our boys did...........but on a flip note to that our boys will not know even a fraction of the scheduled routine and calmness that Elle's knows........... :) What I'm trying to say is that neither way is 'better'- they are just different.....each with their positives- Each 'way' having their place.
Seasons- How they change to make way for something new.......each one having it's purpose........It is so comforting that God knew what season we would be in when we had our boys just like He knew what season we would be in when adopting Ellie.....Each one perfect to His timing........'To everything there is a season...' (Ecc. 3:1)

Poor Arthur is getting his nose picked :)

No comments: