Going to the dentist is not even in my top 1000 things I like doing- ick! Someone probing in your mouth as you are trying not to gag on the saliva collected at the base of your throat- Then those shots before a cavity gets filled........blah!! I have a history of getting this warm tingly filling all over my body and then I start seeing stars when I get any sort of shot- It helps to ask the person giving the shot or drawing the blood questions about their life to get your mind off of it- only when you are laying in a dentist chair with your mouth open and the suction tube in your mouth (to get all that collecting saliva) you can't mumble a word.....
How does this relate to a sinus infection?
The first time it happened I was totally surprised- I was fully confident in myself when I made the 'emergency' appointment to see the dentist. I knew something was wrong with the teeth on one whole side of my mouth. When the dental assistant did the panoramic and I heard the dentist and his assistant talking about root canals I knew it was my teeth being discussed (It was a dentist office that had lots of dentists and patients working and getting checked at one time)- When the dentist came in to give me the news he said that my sinus's were very close to my upper teeth. I would need to go to the doctor because it was not a root canal I needed but a RX for a Sinus Infection- He showed me on the pictures where the infection was- I laughed and said how relieved I was because I had heard him talking about a root canal in the hall and figured it was me (it was the person in the next room).
When my tooth started hurting a couple of weeks ago (and I've had a cold), I chalked it up to my sinus's- as the week wore on and the tooth ache was narrowed down to one tooth I started suspecting it may actually be a cavity (All those nights when Ellie was a baby and I would go to bed w/o brushing my teeth- just wanted sleep......). I waited almost a week more before I called the dentist- who this time happens to be my cousin Luke (He had not graduated from dental school back when the first episode happened). When I talked to his assistant Diane about making the appointment I told her that I thought I had a cavity but was not sure and I set the appointment 2 weeks out (wanted to make sure it was a cavity and not a false alarm). Not 24 hours later I was calling to say I was having a lot of pain and needed to get seen......I was confident this time it was a cavity and not a sinus infection!
I knew one of the standard questions Luke was going to ask 'do you floss?'
No
Before heading out the door to his office I grabbed one of Matt's Floss Picks- As I got to the spot where my tooth ache was and put that floss up in there I pulled out a fairly large piece of orange- What in the world...........I had not eaten an orange since the week before!
When the picture came up of my teeth on the screen in front of me I asked Diane if it looked like I had a cavity- she thought everything looked good but was going to have Luke give the final answer- As he visually inspected my teeth and got to the suspected area he said that I had mild food impaction and my gum looked inflamed- He then took a tool and did some digging- Out came a piece of bacon (thankfully from that morning).
As I confessed my lack of flossing and the orange piece that came out that morning when I did floss he gave me that 'shame on you look' and showed me all the areas that had cavities starting from a lack of flossing.......All I could see when he was talking was how many shots it would take and how long I would have to lay in that chair to get all the prospective cavities filled- with great enthusiasm I promised to floss every day for 6 months with his assurance that it may cause those prospective cavities to not need fillings :)
He also confirmed that it was my sinus's causing the pain and not a cavity........
I get Ventriloquist (When something sounds/feels like it is coming from one place but actually coming from another) Sinus Infections!!
![]() |
| My cousin Luke (Right) fishing with my boys and our cousin Patrick in Hawaii |

4 comments:
That was hilarious!!! thank you for writing that one
Laughed outloud! You are too funny Steph (and I relate too well to the "do you floss question")!
Okay, so, I gotta ask. . .Are you still flossing? ;)
Yes :) :) Still flossing!
Post a Comment