Friday, September 20, 2013

Ferret..........FOR REAL?

We're all about hospitality over here.........I'm about the people and Matt's about the food.......give me some people and Matt some food and it's epic hospitality..........our hospitality does not just stop with people- I am an Auntie to my nephew and niece's dog Jax- He will come over and socialize with Oklie (our dog) & Ellie.....We've babysat guinea pigs and have even watched fish (sorry Ruby, I swear Eli did not kill your fish- it was just unfortunate coincidence that it died while he was watching it...oops!).
I'm not sure who passed our hospitable home info out but somehow through the animal grape vine it was shared................
You know on those Disney Cartoons when you see the animals barking through out the town 'spreading the news'- an orphaned ferret heard and decided to 'check us out' is how I am guessing the next part of this story happened... :)
Several months back, our neighbors house sold- While it was in the process of being sold, a handy man came in and did a significant amount of work- spending several weeks at the home.  During the course of those weeks we would see him off and on- Towards the end of job we happened to catch each other in passing...........'Did you know you have a ferret living under your house?  I've seen it come and go several times since I've started working here (at the neighbors)...It was actually in the garage (at the neighbors) and I chased it out and watched it run under your house....'
I did that 'oh, wow....I will have to let my husband know- thanks' reply.  He then said 'You know, they can do quite a bit of damage under there if you guys don't do anything about it...'
Uh-huh my head nodded...
I was secretly thinking...'Seriously...a ferret...whatever....'
Fast forward 3 or so months...........Sale Pending House............Professional Inspection Ordered by the Buyers....
The home inspector was thorough- Putting on this intense white suit to go under the house (I think he even put on a mask over his mouth).
When he came back out from the 'under the house' inspection he made a bee line for Matt and I- He started off with (it was a 96 degree day) 'The nice thing about being under your house is that it is as cool under there as it is in your house........usually it is really hot under homes....'
Then he whipped out his camera and said 'I think you guys should see this'

Did you know that ferret's will eat your ducting- not just nibble but eat HUGE holes in it........all over in it!
Did you know that those holes will cause your power bill to be upwards of $300 because you are loosing so much air under your house.........
Did you know that the poor buyers were so freaked when they saw the pictures of what was going on they immediately ordered another professional who worked only in heating and air to come inspect (to see if the ducting could be salvaged)
Thankfully it could be and it is all fixed!
Next time the handyman next door comes to me and says 'Did you know that you have a ferret living under your house'
I will respond with 'A Ferret......FOR REAL' and then get right on fixing the problem.

Thankfully, as of today, our house is still pending :) :)



No comments: