Tuesday, December 9, 2014

judging anothers love

“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:34-35)

As Christians:

we are challenged to love........'Above all keep loving one another' (1 Peter 4:8)
to love beyond what we understand or want to do.....to love the unlovable.....'Love your enemies...love those who persecute you' (Matt 5:43)
to love with an unstingy abandoned that does not keep score....'Love does not keep a record of wrong...' (1 Cor 13:5)
to love without being fake either with others or our self.....'Love must be sincere' (Rom 12:9)

Often I will judge another's 'love' and they will come up short- this lacking and that lacking.
my perception being the weight on the scale..... with a weight heavy on self perception, I believe that I am entitled to react with distance, anger, bitterness, self pity, aggression

What am I showing of love when I do this
What am I showing of Jesus when I do this

nothing
not Jesus through me
not Jesus in me
but I am showing a whole lot of me, me, me

eewwwwwww.....blah!
no thank you

How do I know when I am loving......
What do I set as my 'weight' to judge another's 'love' for me-
The Lord set it up so that we would judge ourselves first and others second- He set the bar high for his expectations on how we love others and gave the one we are called to love none.... He called us to the impossible in the flesh but possible through Him- It's only when we are fully surrendered that we can love how He called us too....Unconditionally

He didn't leave us to guess how He wants us to love....He spelled it out in 1 Cor. 13

'Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.'
 
 
My heart is convicted- My flesh rebels
I want to feel the love before giving it
I want my love returned not rejected
I want love to be done my way in my time
I want love presented in a way I understand
 
But that would not be love
I know the feel of true love
I feel it every second of each minute of an all day
 
' But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.'
Romans 5:8
 


Heavenly Father, please let the weight on my scale for loving others be based on the lavish love you show me- please give me the strength to love in a way that others will see You in and through me.  I love you Dear Lord Jesus and please forgive me for the times I have not shown love.'

AMEN!

 
 

1 comment:

Treva Kuyper said...

This is so beautiful Steph and so true!!!I do this too and pray that the Lord changes my heart as well. I truly love you my dear!! <3