- Instead of a $135,000 fine for refusing to make a wedding cake for a gay couple (the fine is for emotional, mental, and physical suffering)- the judge should have made a 'statement case' by ordering the folks complaining, to, accept the bakery owners for who they are...to walk away from the situation vowing to show the bakery owners kindness if there were to see them again- to do the very thing that they themselves were demanding....acceptance for the way another thinks. Is the gay couple looking to take the easy way out and demand the bakery owners do the very thing they themselves are unwilling to do?
- To be fair to the couple asking for the cake and to put the refusing bakery owners under the same lens....As a Christian, our life is called to emulate Christ- that being said, we could ask ourselves the popular phrase...WWJD. We know His focus would be how He could reach the heart- We know He never steered away from serving the sinner- We also know that He did not wait to show His love until we accepted Him but instead died for us 'while we were yet sinners' (Rom 5:8). Is our calling to bake those cakes, all the while praying for the ones receiving- that they would come to know Christ's love....that the Lord would touch the heart of each person at the wedding....Is baking the cake an opportunity to show love or is it an opportunity to take the separating stand. Does it make for a light on a hill or for unnecessary unloving static......
- Is the gay community being too demanding- Accept us or else.....fines, verbally lashed, shunned, etc
- Is the Christian community being too self righteous...too conditional- I won't serve you on the basis that your a sinner (and I'm not)....I have to agree with you to accept you.....
Will the fine change the bakery's owners hearts.....
Will not baking the cake change the gay couples heart.....
every person who reads this blog will unanimously answer the same
So was anything accomplished or was the band aid, yet again, put over the stitch required wound,
It seems that showing love, whatever that looks like in the situation, is a sure fire way to get it right-
I wonder if the reason Jesus focus is so much on Love in the Bible (over 550 times) is because He knew that would be one of our biggest struggles....To love one another
I don't know, it's all just a thought guys.....just a thought
p.s. If any arguments start under my facebook newsfeed I will delete them- Not because I do not respect your opinion but because this post is about showing love....not about being divisive. You can send me any and all comments to my personal inbox or to this blogs comments (which I will not post).
No comments:
Post a Comment