Monday, June 29, 2015

Shelly the Elephant and Amy the Fish

It was the summer of 1993 that I came into Matt's family (I was 17 almost 18).  It was also that same summer I met Matt's niece's Amy and Shelly (who will always be Shell Bell).  Amy was almost 11 and Shelly was almost 9.  Matt's family lived on a Dairy Farm not too far from their house- the girls would hang out there quite a bit helping out (doing the chores their uncles didn't want to do for a quarter....never mind child labor laws and such :) ) Matt's dad and mom sold the dairy almost 20 years ago.
Since Matt's parents sold the dairy, it has sold a couple more times- the last of which was this past April (2015).  The newest owners decided to tear down the house currently on it (the one Matt grew up in) and build a new house- My brother in law Shawn is a contractor that, among other things, tears down homes.  Circumstances worked so that Shawn was able to get the bid to tear down the dairy house.
We were visiting Shawn and my sis in law Christie a few weeks ago and Shawn mentioned the tear down plans.....
The dairy house kitchen was redone in the late 1980's and has the most amazing late 80's oak cabinets you have ever seen.
It's no secret the love I have for late 80's oak cabinets
It's also no secret that Matt and I bought our 'forever house' last year- It is just waiting for us to move into it when the time is right.
Shawn said he would ask the new owners of the dairy house if they were willing to part with those fabulous cabinets....
The late 80's oak cabinets made their way to the shop out here at the ranch (where we currently live) to be stored until they are ready to be installed at our forever house.
While Matt, our friend Dale, his son Cody, and my Ryan were out picking up the cabinets at the dairy house today, they came across a little something tucked inside one of the cupboards.

Amy and Shelly have grown up- They are in their 30's now....which makes the following all that much more precious...I'm guessing it's been 25 years since they have seen the story Shelly wrote.
Amy and Shell Bell- I love you both and hope you enjoy seeing this as much as I did- Your uncle Matt found it when he was taking the cabinets out of the dairy and saved it for you.

Shelly the Elephent and his friend the fish.
Amy the fish

Hello!  My name is Shelly, I'm an elephent.  One day I was in the circus doing a trick  All of a sudden!  I was in the water.  The water that the fish were in.  I was imbarused.  Hello said Amy the fish.  And would you please get off me!!  You are hurting me!  but I can't swim, said Shelly the elephent.  You are sopose to float!  I can't!! Well then I'll try to slide out.  OK!  Don't screem it herts my ears!  Then you don't do it.  After he got off they became friends forever.  Only the elephent talked to the fish from the outside.  The End!!

The dairy house



No comments: