just kidding about Lutefisk meaning 'rubbish'- When it's cooking, it smells just like when you go to the dump on a really hot day- imagine that first whiff you get when you open your car door. I stick with the Lefse (delicious home made tortilla's) smothered in butter and mashed potatoes and keep the distance great between the Lutefisk and I....my Nana, dad, and aunts love it- I don't know how I missed getting the 'love the Lutefisk' gene but I did (so did my sister) :)
When we were on our drive home, Ellie randomly asked me if she 'grew in my stomach'
'no sweetie, you didn't grown in my stomach.... God choose you to grow in your birth mom Heather's stomach and then join our family by way of adoption'
'oh'
as she was saying the 'oh', I could see her trying to make sense of what I was telling her.
I went on...
'God allowed mommy (me) to be at your birth when it was time for you to come out of your birth mom Heather's tummy (I was not in the delivery room but was out in the waiting room). God also has allowed you to have two mom's, your birth mom Heather and me'
'Mommy and daddy adopted you Elle's....Adoption is a really special thing'
We talked a bit more about it and what it mean's to be adopted- I could tell she was taking it all in, processing it and tucking it away.
The whole time we were talking, I was praying for how Ellie will process her adoption story. Praying that she will understand Heather's love, our love, and most importantly God's love. Praying that she will understand, even in the quiet of her processing heart, that her birth story, while complicated, was chosen for her by God and filled with purpose.
'For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.'
Psalm 139:13-16
![]() |
| Ellie and I Christmas Eve morning |
![]() |
| the Lefse making crew (thank you auntie anne for the picture) |


No comments:
Post a Comment