Saturday, December 3, 2016

Eli's Take on Middle Age

I have been blogging since 2010- Almost 7 years...wow!  I have posted 551 blog posts since 2010 and have 151 sitting in my 'drafts'.  Drafts are posts that for one reason or another I have not posted (you will notice that there is only 1 post published in 2010.  We were in the process of adopting and I took down all but one of my blog posts, the one that talked about our family for a birth mother to see).  It is always fun looking in the 'drafts', especially when the draft pertains to something my kids were doing at the time.  Here is a post from Eli, I'm not 100% sure of the date he did this report but I'm guessing it was around 2010/2011.  In 2010, he was just turning 14 and finishing up his 8th grade year at Chiefess Middle school, getting ready to begin his 9th grade year at Kauai High School.
______________________________________________________________
When I went to bed last night Eli was busy working on a report for school that is due today.  I didn't ask him what it was about but instead said a quick 'I love you... God Bless you' and hit the sack.  As my computer started up this morning, the usual picture did not show up in the background but instead the first thing that popped up was the report Eli was working on last night-
After reading through his report on 'Middle Age' the first time I cringed.....(muscle tone diminishes and physical exercise is needed to maintain figure..BLAH!  'Medical Problems are the leading cause for middle age deaths'...that's not very heroic or impressive).  Then I made my way through it again, fascinated that after all Eli read about middle age the facts below are what stuck out to him (and he felt them relevant to document for his report)...


“Middle age”
35-65 years of age.
By: Eli B.
Physical changes: physical changes are common during this time in life. This is when your body starts to diminish.

-muscle tone diminishes.
-changes come in diet.
-physical exercise is needed to maintain figure.
-body’s reproductive compactly begins to slow.

Social and emotional changes: middle age people begin to reflect on their lives. Realize that they made mistakes in their life. 

-begin to accept mortality as friends and loved ones die.
-reflect on birth and growth of children. 
-Midlife crisis begins in 40s.
-have a fear of losing their youth.

Financial concerns: Learning to accept responsibility is hard. But when people are counting on you it is necessary. 

-get satisfaction from giving to others
-accepting the effects of stress.
-may be overwhelming
-medical problems may arise.

Specific tasks: this is a very stressful time in life. Family and work may depend on you.

-provide for a family 
-have a steady job. 
-provide sufficient support for people around you. 
-look into selling down.

Joys: midlife years are the best years of life for many people. Many are able to enjoy and focus their families and job.

-providing for a family brings great joy. 
-able to enjoy hobbies 
-proud of accomplishments 
-use leisure time creatively.

Medical problems and dangers: medical problems are the leading cause of middle age deaths. This is very common.

-cancer is a very real threat 
-heart disease
-addictions become tough to get away from. 
-experiencing the ill effects of habits 
-learning about medical care.



aaawwww!! It's Eli when he was 14- seems like so long ago












No comments: