'Telling someone you love them changes everything, They will think we are better friends than we are, and the next thing you know they will be inviting us over for supper. Then we will have to invite them over, and before long we will be worn out. You don't say I love you to just anyone. It can get you in trouble.'
The Author ( (Philip Gulley, Christmas in Harmony pg. 22) is describing the different opinions between a husband and wife as they are deciding how to sign their Christmas Card.........The husband wanting the signature of 'we love you' and the wife wanting 'Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday's'- something informal and traditional.........
The wife fighting for reserve while, the husband having witnessed the pain of unspoken love elects to splurge and sign their card that year with 'We Love You'
The book page and discussion ends with this observation by the husband:
'God could have sent a lawyer who would scrupulously (having strict regard for moral integrity) define the limits of love. Instead, he went for broke and sent a child with whom He was well pleased. And had the good sense to tell him so.'
As I was leaving my friend Michelle's house a couple of weeks ago I was almost to my car when I heard her voice call out 'love you Steph!!'
It instantly warmed my heart and brought a smile to my face- I called back to her 'Love you too!!'
All that being said, what if we all went for broke and said 'I love you' more often- went out on a limb and risked speaking the words that so many of us long for and need to hear...........
What if we followed the lead and had the good sense to tell those around us 'I love you'.........

No comments:
Post a Comment