Friday, June 27, 2014

the mare and the donkey

Since last July (13') when Matt and I celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary it feels like I have continued the celebration in my mind.
The march to 20 years of marriage (in my mind) is a milestone of sorts- Maybe not for some but it seems like it for us.
well not really a march for My Matt and I but more like stubborn sitting followed by a sharp kicking followed by wild running..
one year to another to another....
He get's annoyed and sits in place and I come by and 'WHACK'....
we're off :)
......(ok not literally a whack and he's not literally sitting- I'm using Metaphor's here)

A few years back we were in Pennsylvania Dutch Country.  We were passing farm after farm- some containing horses, some cows, some both- As we were passing a horse farm we all (the boys were with us) happened to be looking at 2 horses that were standing very close to each other- Before either one of us could blink one of the horses (Mare?) quickly backed away and delivered 2 Jacky Chan looking kicks to the side of the other horse.  Matt proudly announced to our boys (who had been watching)...
'That horse (the kicking one) is just like your mom boys- It's a Stephanie Horse!!'
Maybe it's unhealthy humor on our part, but we all laughed and I replied 'If we are labeling each other by horse names than your horse example would be a Donkey.....we all know the proper name for donkey's!!' and the laughing continued.

Certain types of Mares are described as being moody, aggressive, and strong willed
All types of Donkey's are described as being stubborn, stubborn, and more stubborn (if they do not want to do something they will literally sit on their bottoms and not move until they feel like it)

I guess as mares and donkey's get older they start settling down just a bit- a little less strong willed and a bit less stubborn...
maybe Matt and I will develop each into those passive type of horses that let children braid their hair (bleh) and are chosen to ride beginners around because we are considered so docile (double bleh)
or maybe we'll just be left out in a pasture, the two of us together.....to give tourists a good hardy laugh as we prod each other on...
one sitting and one kicking.

I love you Matthew Benjamin and consider it an honor that the Lord has chosen me to spur you on in this life....As you well know, I take this job very seriously....
I am now throwing my head back and laughing

'And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds'
Hebrews 10:24

No comments: