How does one stay relative...
By relative I am referring to being able to relate.
Relate to our ever changing world
Our ever changing life seasons...
Our ever changing families...our children grow up and our parents grow old
Our ever changing relationships...our relationship with God, our husbands, friendships
Our hair, body, and fashion changes which leaves us struggling with a self image that is wanting to change.
As I sat down on my couch and the thoughts washed over me there was a moment of panic....I don't have the energy to stay 'relative' to all the self imposed demands I was putting on myself. How do I know what is most important to stay relative to....
'Love the Lord your God with all of your heart, and with all your soul, and with all of your strength.'
Deuteronomy 6:5
My first priority should always be my relationship with Jesus Christ....If I am starting to loose 'relatibility' with my Christian walk- If I am noticing that quiet time with the Lord is getting fewer and far between, if decision making is being based on others opinions of what they think I should do or my opinion and not God's Word, or if I just cant relate to God's Word anymore then this is a good indicator that my relationship with Christ is not in first place....something else is
Eph. 5:22 tells me what my second priority should be....the second thing that I should be careful to never loose relatibility to....My husband. If my life has become so consumed with our kids, or work, or friendships, or you fill in the blank, that I can not relate to my husband- can't find time for him and our relationship- then I am trying to be 'relative' with the wrong things in the wrong order.
Thirdly, my kids....We are commanded (Prov. 22:6) to raise up our kids in the way that they should go....how can I do this if I can't even relate to my children- If I have not taken the time to understand what they are going through or who they are. This has been a toughy for me with my boys- Not because I don't love them with all of my heart but because their interests are so so so so soooo different than mine. I have been praying a lot lately that the Lord would lay on my heart ways to stay 'relative' to them....
Prioritizing next (fashion....smile), my extended family, church family, work, and all else that tends to fill up our lives-
'Thank you Heavenly Father for laying out so clearly what you would have us stay relative too- For your written Word that spells out how we can keep our focus in an ever changing world....
I love you'
I was trying to get a picture of all 5 of us riding in the car together to breakfast at our church this morning- It is so rare that we are all riding together the moment needed to be captured. It took 3 pictures to get us all :)
No comments:
Post a Comment