Friday, January 15, 2016

a blog post from the plane

I am actually writing this post from the airplane :)
Lufthansa offers wifi on this particular flight (14 Euro for 4 hours)
Currently, we are 2334 miles from Frankfurt and have 5 hours to go.  It is 3:58 a.m. German time and 6:58 p.m. PST.
WHAT A DAY.
This is our first time flying internationally- We are on the longest passenger carrying aircraft in the world (B747-400), according to Lufthansa's information sheet.  It is a double decker plane with state of the art eco friendly services (source, Lufthansa).  Each of us have audio in the front of our seats with over 120 different selections to choose from.  I've personally been watching the 'Flight Info' page the entire time.  It's interesting to see the plane making it's way out of Seattle and into Canada.  When we crossed over the Slave Lake (Canada) area it made me think of my friend Tanaya, who, if I remember right, is from Slave Lake.  We are currently making our way into Iceland, then will drop down over into Europe 5.5 hours from now.
It was an interesting commute, earlier today, when we had to go from the Alaska/Horizon terminal to the Lufthansa terminal.  We had a bit over an hour from the time we landed into Seattle on Alaska Air until we were departing on Lufthansa- We had no time to spare, by the time we arrived in the Lufthansa terminal and made it to gate S15, they were beginning to board the plane.  We had to be ticketed at the Lufthansa desk which took only a bit (thank goodness).  To all of my nephews who will be heading over, get to SEA TAC earlier than what you would normally cause it's going to take you some time to get to your gate (and go through TSA).
We are heading away from the sun so only had light for the first hour and a half of our flight.  We were served a dinner of chicken and rice (with a dark chocolate brownie...Janelle H. and Rhonda- you would have LOVED the dark chocolate) just after it got dark and then they brought around warm wipes for us to wash our hands with.  The wipes smelled really good (like a faint citrus)- Ellie was completely grossed out by them and refused to use hers- so I used it!
Ellie has traveled like a boss today- It is the first time she has flown- Before we left, her school gave her a care package that had a coloring book in it- she alternated between coloring and looking out the window going 'WOW!' our first flight- This flight, she has been watching movies the entire time.

We just crossed into Iceland...it looks beautiful!  Just kidding- remember it's dark outside..

Isaiah and Ry have been just chilling out since we left.  Those boys have some miles behind their friendship- lived in the same state (Hawaii) from when they were 10 until they were 12 and have stayed in contact since.  such a blessing.

We didn't travel light....we have 300 pounds of luggage.  200 pounds checked and 100 pounds of carry on.  50 of those pounds is food.....macarroni & cheese, sun butter, pinto beans, flour tortillas, white eggs since I could not find one store that carried them...blah blah blah- you name it and it's probably in the bag I got from Goodwill that will only make a one way trip with us (I will leave it in Germany when we head home....the food will be gone).
We rented a car in Frankfut instead of traveling by train to our destination- I think we are going to have to rent 2 cars to fit all the luggage.  I'm not sorry though, packing light has never been in my vocabulary :)

I was also kidding about packing white eggs- it was tempting but I figured they would not do too well  in checked luggage.

Thank you to all of our friends and family for the prayers and love you have shown us- I have been in tears multiple times reading your messages.

I will talk to you all after we get to Germany.

P.S. Eli, I miss you already




No comments: