Thursday, January 28, 2016

for another time, another season, another generation

Just after take off, I reached into my purse and pulled out my Bible.  It's the same Bible I've taken on 24 flights with me and the same Bible that, on each of those flights, I write in the margin of Psalm 91 where we are going.  It also has a permanent place in my purse, going with me almost everywhere.  I flipped to Psalm 91 read through it, and then looked for an empty spot in the margin to put the date and our flying destination.  In this particular Bible, Psalm 91 covers the bottom of page 548 and then rolls to the top of page 549.  At the bottom of page 549 was an empty spot.

1/15/16: MFR-FRA 'Lord Jesus please keep us safe'

(My cousin Nicole would read Psalm 91 to and then pray it over her girls when they were small.  After she told me she did this, I looked the chapter up and have used the verses so often and in many situations both in my life and to give encouragement to others.  What a great source of comfort and peace the Lord has given us in these 16 verses.)

As we were getting all the last minute details figured out for our trip to Germany, it crossed my mind that my purse Bible was in too bad of shape to make the trip.  Maybe it should go into the storage bin under my bed where special keep sakes are kept and I should get a new one.  If my Bible was going to 'retire', I knew it would need to be replaced....Since 2005, when the Lord took me through a season of overcoming a 10 year long battle with panic attacks, I have always carried my Bible with me- The Holy Spirit living inside of me and my Bible are my greatest tools in living a life free from a panic disorder.  I have my 'go to' verses that when, life starts getting overwhelming, I read- they are a reminder of God's promised peace over our lives as Christians- and a reminder that no matter what is going on, no matter how scary or big or terrible life seems, God's got it under control and we do not need to fear.


As I took my Bible out of my purse, with the intention to letting it retire, I looked it over and opened it up wondering how long I've had it....

Presented to Stephanie by April on October 3, 2007 (thank you April!!)

It was a birthday gift from a friend while we were both working in youth ministry at our church.  Small Bibles that were decorated cute on the outside were popular and April knew I really wanted one.  For my birthday in 2007, she gave it as a gift.
After looking how long I've had it, I then flipped over to Psalm 91 and read through it- praising and thanking the Lord that we have His Word to read- also thanking the Lord for His peace and presence in the 24 flights written in the margin.  
After this, It just seemed right to bring my tattered worn out Bible on one last trip (as opposed to buying a new one).  It's pages are crumpled and the cover is missing most of the once bright leather.  It has bounced around at the bottom of my purse for eight years....It's been opened at all hours of the night, being read, and has rested many a night under my pillow- I've also written out prayers, beside certain verses, in many of it's margins.  Having the reminder of God's faithfulness, seeing the prayers and reminders written in the margins in this Bible, knowing that this Bible has gone some miles with our family seemed like such a source of comfort when the days get long during the 12 weeks we will be in Germany.
When we get home, I will take it out of my purse (replace it) and tuck it away for another time, another season, for another generation.  My prayer is that someday my grandchildren, great grandchildren, and great great grandchildren will come across a box of keepsakes- that they will open up my Bible's tattered pages and read the words in it's book.  That they will see the prayers written out for not only their parents but for them.  That they will choose to love the Lord and walk faithfully with Him.  That they will trust the Lord even more because of the generations before them that talked about (and wrote about) His faithfulness.  And finally that they would choose to shine Jesus for the generations after them.

sitting at the kitchen table writing this blog post this morning from Germany


'He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust.  Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence.  He will cover you with His feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.  I will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.  A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.  You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.  If you make the Most High your dwelling, even the Lord, who is my refuge, then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent  For He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.  You will tread upon the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent.  Because he loves me says the Lord, I will rescue him.  I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.  He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.  With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation.'
Psalm 91




No comments: