Saturday, March 12, 2011

Switching from Tsunami's to Peacocks- at least for today

The last couple of day's have been such a serious post I thought I would grace this blog with a light hearted story- gotta mix it up a little bit... right?

It began almost right after we moved here.....
The ranch we work at has an easement going through another ranch to get to our ranch- on this other ranch tours are offered because it is home to several interesting things (movies, zip lines, and ATV adventures).  Either at the start of a tour or an end of a tour (I'm not sure which cause I've never taken the tour) people get to stop and feed animals- an example of some of the animals being fed would be wild pigs, chickens, and PEACOCKS.  All the animals hang out in an area about the size of a large bedroom waiting for the tours to come by and feed them-
These 2 pictures are compliments of my brother and sis in law- This is
the 'area' I am talking about 
My brother Levi feeding the pigs 
We pass through this certain area at least 2 times a day (coming and going from the ranch).  All of the animals clear out of the roadway when they see our vehicles coming because they know that we are not stopping to feed.  That is they all move out of the way except one............
He is one of the most beautiful animals I have ever seen- I am in complete AWE of all the colors on his tail feathers and body-  The problem with him is that he refuses to drop those beautiful feathers and move out of the way (please notice even in this picture- where is he standing?? Right in the middle of the road)- He is so ANNOYING!  I roll my car to a stop and try to nudge him out of the way by getting closer and closer- sometimes I honk but most of the time I squeak by him on the side going partly in the ditch area to get around.     Not to long ago I was trying to be a little firmer with him- show him who's boss- for pete's sake my vehicle could squash his beautiful body in a sec.  I pulled up really close to him- laid on the horn and stayed persistent.  He decided that he would move- but in his timing- never dropping those tail feathers, he calmly and very slowly scooted sideways with one foot touching the other (baby steps) off the road.  By the time he was far enough over so that I could drive straight and not swerve around him I could have been 5 minutes down the road.
I'm telling Matt about all of this- we are headed out and coming to the place where the peacock 'struts his stuff'.  I notice that the peacock is exactly where he normally is but I also notice that Matt is not slowing down- nor is he starting to veer around this beautiful peacock.  'Watch this Steph, I'll bet I can get him to move.' Matt's telling me as we are closing in on those tail feathers fast.  You guys, I closed my eye's and cringed expecting to hear a thud and see peacock feathers flying everywhere.  We pass by and I don't hear the thud so I open my eyes and physically turn around in the truck we are in and look out the rear window.  First I notice a Freaked out peacock standing on the side of the road- he looked very strange....naked would be the right word.
He had managed to get off the road just in time- in getting off the road he must have dropped his tail feathers- which when peacocks drop their tail feathers they are like a train on a wedding dress- they cascade behind them.  When he dropped his tail feathers Matt ran over them.  Perfectly lined up on the ground by the peacock was a wad of tail feathers.  We laughed so hard- mean.....um.....maybe a bit but still one of the funniest memories living here in Hawaii.
It was a good 6 months before his tail feathers were back in.  We would see him trying his feathers and for awhile they were just stubby sticks- As time passed they grew longer and longer.  I didn't have the heart to take his picture.  I am happy to say that he is completely back to normal.  I am also happy to say that he has never been in the road again!

No comments: