Sunday, March 17, 2013

Passing Out & The Park

Well..............
Eli Ben you gave daddy and I a scare last night.....I think it scared your daddy a bit more than me because when I went running up the stairs at 3 a.m. telling him (Dad) that he had to get down stairs because 'Eli passed out and is not doing good' he thought I said 'Eli passed out and is not breathing!'
I'm getting a head of myself- let me back up and start from the beginning........

I've mentioned a few times over the past month or so that the head cold/cough/fever flu has been going around our house (the type of flu where the Dr. puts the long q tip in your nose and takes a swab- you wait 10 minutes for the result and they come back with a 'POSITIVE') First me, then Ryan, then Matt, and last night Eli started coming down with it.  Thanks to my sis loaning me her Braun Thermoscan ear Thermometer I've been able to keep tabs on what the boy's (and Matt's) fever has been....103.5 has been the standard norm with this flu. 

Eli's body has never handled medium to higher temp's well- When he was just over a year old he came down with RSV.  In a matter of an hour his temp went from a low grade fever to 104- Shortly after it reached 104 he had a seizure.....The hospital reassured my mom (who was with me when it happened), Matt, and I that although this is very scary it had done no harm to Eli and was actually not uncommon for kids to have a seizure when their temp spiked. 

Last night, just before I went to bed I checked on Eli, who had decided that he wanted to sleep down on the couch in our living room that has our TV- He had a slight fever and was more achy than anything.  I headed to bed and started talking to Matt.  We had been a bit on each other's nerves all day....smile... so when we started talking while laying in bed we were just getting on each other's nerves more and more (not a full blown fight but def a super annoyed tiff).  In an annoyed huff I grabbed my pillow and headed for the couch in our 'other' living room (the one that you walk into when you walk in our front door).  Our 2 living rooms are separated by a small hallway and our kitchen.  At 3 this morning I woke up to a strange sounding thud-  Mommy instincts know things before we actually see what is going on........I knew instantly that all was not well with Eli.

He had gotten up fairly quickly to go to the bathroom- While standing at the toilet he passed out and hit his head on the wall- When I ran into the bathroom Eli was on the ground but had 'come to'- I helped him up and was guiding him back to the couch.  He was a bit out of it but still able to walk- He said he wanted to go to the kitchen and as he made his way there I was still trying to help him- He passed out again only this time he was out cold- Because of the ways his eyes and body reacted to passing out I could not tell if he was having a seizure (thankfully he was not).  As soon as I got him on the ground I ran for Matt...............

When Matt got to him he (Eli) had come to and was very confused- Matt was amazing (I love you babe) at not only keeping calm but figuring out if Eli needed to go to the hospital.  Eli was really warm so I took his temp- It was almost 104.........After taking Tylenol and drinking a lot of fluid we deemed that he probably passed out because his fever had gone from slight to significant in such a short amount of time- Matt slept on the chair right by Eli for the rest of the night- I started out on the same couch (Eli sleeping sitting up and me sleeping curled up at the other end) and then moved back to the couch in the other living room for the rest of the night..........

This seems to be a week long flu (a true 7 days) and Eli is on day 2 of it................AWESOME!!! 5 more days..............Sorry Eli Ben :(

In other news- Ellie really enjoyed playing at the park tonight........but.........explaining how she giggles when she swings just seems so slight when we just did all this talk about passing out- Maybe a story for another time

Hope you all had a great St. Patricks Day

My sis Jodi and Eli (2005)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope he feels better! Heather